new and im looking ......

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by kev.skyline, Apr 3, 2005.

1. kev.skyline

kev.skyline Guest

for a dritfer to get started.i really like the yokomo ones but i dont know how much they are for every thing like motors and stuff.any help would be greatly apprieciated
  2. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Towerhobbies.com Just search what you want in your car, then add it to your car, then it gives you the total.
  3. 69stang

69stang Guest

well how mutch money do u wona spenend?
  4. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Getting the yokomo drift setup is your best bet for starting out, unless your someone who wants to do everything the long way which is not always a bad way.

Just price out things individually, make sure and look at radio gear as that sometimes can be the most expensive part of a setup.

Are you wanting to stick to electric or have you thought about going nitro also?
  5. kev.skyline

kev.skyline Guest

i want to get an electric one, preferably a yokomo as they look the best
  6. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

What do you mean by looks? The body or the chassis? Cause the tires and body's can be bought seperatly to make your car look and perform just the same.
  7. kev.skyline

kev.skyline Guest

they look like they preform the best and the bodies ect look good also.
  8. iGuy

iGuy Guest

HPI Pro Chassis, and get a sweet looking HPI body for it ?
    I got HPI Pro 3 with HPI Body and 2.00 Rims put next to my friends Yokomo Drift SR sumthing cant tell the difference.

I can tune to the point where i can drift as much as him. Takes some tweeking and playing around to get the right setup. Yokomo tend to drift outta the box easier but lack on speed.

But really you can get any Average and Pro level car and make it drift.

Yokomos are nice cars but if you look for looks,.... It all depents on how creative you can get.

I upgraded to bunch of metal parts on my chassis so it looks purdier than my friends.

While he got his body Custom airbrushed which looks better than my clean 2 color Paint job.

TT-01 or TL-01 i think is was, HPI Pro, Pro2 and Pro3, xxx Traxxis, TC associate, all can drift. Just gotta tune em here and there.

I didnt like the price of the Yokomos. Personally.
    same price i got alot mosre parts and stuff wiht my Pro 3.

Just some ideas. Good luck on ur Hunt for a Drift car.
  9. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

You know I really love yokomo kits and for the price they are good if you dont want to hunt and learn for specific parts thats why they are kitted like they are.

iGuy is right if you want to take the time and tune and pick up the parts individually you would be better off it really just depends on where you are in skill level and in general r/c hobby level.
  10. iGuy

iGuy Guest

Yup yup yup.

Yoh you ever tried to drift with 6t motor ?looking for any cheap 6 or 11 or 9 turn motor.
    Plus a cheap esc for it.
  11. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Lol... My best guess for 6 turn would be a bit too much. I wouldnt go lower then 10... and id only go 10 if you are experianced with racing 10T or are VERY knoedgeable of RC Cars and Drifting.

And cheap 6Turn, no such thing. You'll be looking to pay about $50 used... VERY rarely have i found one for less... And a cheap ESC for it is the Duratrax series
  12. iGuy

iGuy Guest

well doesnt take much to go in straight line.
    Tryin to beat her Pro2 on a 9 turn with 27pinions and 75 gear (2.78) at 48 pitch i think.

So i was thinking 6 turn with 28pin and 81 gear also 48 pitch (2.89).

Now that u say less than 9 turn is uncontrolable ow about,...
    maybe a 13 turn advanced it and use 30pin and 81 gear(2.70) and the lil mroe torque which give me better accel and we shoudl even up atfe rthe straight away?
  13. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

True... but are you drift racing or what? Cause if your drift racing then i would go with some very hard rubber tires over PVC
  14. iGuy

iGuy Guest

_____
    l l
    l l l
    l l l
    l l l
    l l l
    l l l
    l l l______________
    l l______________ l
    l__________________l

its an L track Huge across the parking lot and i am talking about 1/4 of a walmart parking lot.
    But its tight. Her car fricken so damn fast and you need to 180 degree turn to make those turns.

But i dun wanan waste my cash on a 9 turn and my ESC cnat handle 9 tunr i think. so i planning to go 13 turn and gear my gears faster,.... any idea ?
  15. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

So, its jut one big L... nothing else? I wouldnt worry about it... id just get a new track layout cause winning in a L track isnt anything...
  16. iGuy

iGuy Guest

well around an L twice narrow,.....
    Still wanna go faster,... just dunno faster motor or smaller gearing ?

Drifitng is fun but i wanna drift faster.

Oh well i am bored,....
    You rule u actually talk LOL wahahaha !
  17. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Lol... drifting faster... just go with brushless then! but to go faster would mean taller gearing.. shorter gearing makes it more torquey.
  18. iGuy

iGuy Guest

Nah huh,.... i though 28 81 is faster than 20 81 ,.... ahhh great i am all copnfused all over again b/c i forogot what the doode told me about gearing.

help me out a lil i feel ditzy.

i got pinions 19 20 22 28
    I got the big gears in 81 87 and aboutt o go get a 75

Sooooooooooooooooooo i though 28 and 81 was fast
    19 and 87 slow

or am i wrong again b/c i am not at mechanics only in software and electronics LOL

Hey spice up the site make it mroe active or something !!!!
  19. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Its on its way to a full site launch, at wich time there should be more daily traffic and people on the forums...

Anyway, Tall gearing is speed. IE, Big pinion, small spur. Short gearing is slow and has accelleration, IE Small pinion big spur. Im not all good with ratios, i just know that if you want more speed, increase the number of teeth on your pinion, or decreese your spur. However, electrics like being geared LOW! You gear them to high and they will burt QUICKLY! Nitros like high gearing. So just do something around a 28t/81t ... it will be fairly high, so you need to monitor the temp to make sure it doesnt overheat. And if it gets too hot, just add teeth the the spur to help it.

Me personally i run 27/78 on my 19T and its quick... on turns around the track im able to keep up with 1/8th nitros.
  20. iGuy

iGuy Guest

i am suppose to be scared to fry my ESC or the motor ?
    If its the motor i can add a fan over it.

i am try 28/75 and try it out on my 21T D oh well if its fries. I need single motor any way hahah !!!!

What u think? Oh and advanced teh timing LOL !!!!

HUH no sneak peak preview ?