new 2006 lionel engines VS. the older post war

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Oct 28, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what are the pro's and con's of each? i know every little about the new stuff, as im a post war guy. im starting over and making a whole new layout. and im thinking about one or 2 new engines,

im wanting to know if the new stuff able to run well at slow speeds? or are they just like the post war stuff that you got 2 speeds, fast and faster!

is it worth it to get the ones with sound? and would i have to change my transformers to new ones to run sound? or for that matter the new engines at all? i dont want to be changing over transformers all the time.

what do you all think of the trainmaster command set? worth the money? be nice to have a and i think you can run up to 3 powered engines on a single train , pull way longer trains that

or should i look at another brand all togeather?

i will always be a pre and post war guy, but am thinking about adding a few new stuff, try to get the best of both worlds.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I have a couple of the newer engines but I"ve stayed away from command control and stuff (too much money). They run fine at slow speeds and I use PW transformers with them, no problem. Nice enough stuff, but the smell of oil and ozone is part of the experience for me, so I like prewar and postwar better.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ya, i like the post war stuff, but out of my 5 post war diesel engines it seems i only can get 1 or 2 to run at a time, got to work on them 24-7 it seems, now i don have that problem with my post war steam engines, just stick them on the track and go!, oil now and then.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

My postwar steamers are bulletproof. I don't have any postwar diesels (at least not Lionel--my Marxes are as reliable as my Honda Civic). I have a modern-era Lionel diesel that doesn't run very well either. I need to get the Kalmbach book on servicing modern-era trains. The couple of modern steamers I have never give me trouble, but I don't run them very often though.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

I'm part of the next generation- I have nothing but modern, scale equipment. And while my diesel fleet may not be as bulletproof as the postwar stuff, it looks, runs, and sounds more like the real thing than any postwar toy train. For me, nothing beats a four engine lash up of dash-9's and SD-90's pulling fifty intermodal cars or Autoracks.

My buds down at the AGHR (my train club in San Pedro, CA) have a more extensive collection than myself, and they have the big articulateds. Those monsters are also an impressive sight, pulling endless strings of reefer or coal cars- can't get that from any postwar engine.

The beauty of modern gear is that you don't need 30 ZW's or Z4000's and 30 blocks to run a large layout, and you can control more than one train from anywhere on your layout. it takes some time to master, but you're on the internet on a computer, right? You can handle TMCC and DCS too.

TMCC is a good way to get into command control- the basic set only costs around $100, and it's very simple to learn and operate. Modern TMCC engines (at least the scale ones) are also better pullers- dual vertical can motors with flywheels and traction tires pull far better than any Pullmor-powered engine I've owned.