New 0n30 Donkey engine

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Here's the latest 0n30 Donkey to be scratchbuilt, the guy on the left just happened along to the workshops to cheer up the lads by playing his Harmonica.

Shamus
newd.jpg

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
The donkey looks terrific !!! Did you work from a plan on this one, or is it a freelanced model? I've only done a couple of donkeys, and those were about decade ago. My best was okay, but not great. How about some insight, Shamus, on where to get good parts (I'm in HO), where to get good plans, and some general philosophy on construction and methods. I expect a few of us would appreciate the pointers. --Stu--

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi grlakeslogger

Here my HO version using an old 303 cartdridge.

I was given an old 303 cartridge shell casing to make a Donkey Engine boiler from, It turned out fine for
making the boiler, after a little fabrication with various brass parts from my scrap box, here is how it
turned out.
boiler.jpg

The next part of the operation was to make the skid for it to travel about on and also the water tank fitted at
the rear. The water tank started life as a brass tube 5/8" diameter.
skid.jpg

The next project was to make a convincing gearbox. As I had an old set of small gears from a clock,
I set about making the shell casing for it, out of brass sheet. Next, Inserting the gears so they would
actually mesh properly, and adding the outside discs for the pistons.
gearbox.jpg

How to fabricate some sort of realistic looking pistons was next on the agenda . The only thing I could think
of was two pieces of brass tubing one to fit inside the other. The end pieces which fitted into the boiler
were in actual fact two plastic bits from on old shay kit. The outside brass tubing was cut away
with a round file, making the slots.
pistons.jpg

I then fitted the pistons to the boiler.
candg.jpg

Then the whole assembly was fitted together.
pistgear.jpg

The whole assembly was then fitted to the skid.
together.jpg

Next stage was to make the wood frame to house the roof, this was made using 1/16" square hardwood,
the four corner pieces were reinforced with 1/32" by 1/16" hardwood on the outside,
legss.jpg

This was test fitted, and as I required the Donkey engine to have a jib on the front, to be able to unload logs,
I made the jib using 1/16" by 1/8" hardwood, and braced it every 1/2".
nearlys.jpg

Once this was made, the roof was added using corrugated plastic sheet. A hole was cut for the boiler to fit
into and a flap was also added.
legsroofs.jpg

Now it could all be fitted together, and the whistle added on the boiler. The model was suitably painted, but
as yet it is not weathered.
alls.jpg

Here she is in place at the log pond, just about to unload a giant redwood.
logdonk1.jpg

Shamus

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Pretty neat . How hard would it be to make it actually work? ( with a hidden electric motor) Imagin a working cable system to b ring logs to the siding and load the cars. Just a crazy thought.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Thank you, Shamus.

Many thanks for the outstanding tutorial. Just a couple of quick questions remain:

1. About what diameter are the clock gears you used?
2. What is the diameter of the tubing you used for cylinders?

You make it look so very easy!

--Stu--

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Very impressive Paul. Including yourself with your musical talent is amazing. I know we have heard the sounds elsewhere but can imagine either soothing music to settle down the LPBs or bouncy tunes to get them working faster.
Beautiful workmanship

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: Thank you, Shamus.

Thanks again to everyone.

Originally posted by grlakeslogger
Many thanks for the outstanding tutorial. Just a couple of quick questions remain:

1. About what diameter are the clock gears you used?
2. What is the diameter of the tubing you used for cylinders?

You make it look so very easy!

--Stu--

The gears were around 3/8" diameter, and the tube for the pistons was 1/8" diameter.

Shamus

P

philip

Man what a scene. Who be the blues man playin that harp?:thumb:

philip