Networking pays off

I've lived in my present home for about 5 years. My neighbors to the south side were here before me, and through conversation long ago found out homeowner Randy was a train guy. When his wife asked us to keep their dog for a weekend so they could spend the time at Horsehoe Curve I should've known it was serious. :)
He had mentioned previously that he had model trains but we never discussed it further as I wasn't into the hobby at the time. However, since I started collecting stuff for my return to modelling I made it a point to ask him if he had anything on the WM that I could look at (I saw an extensive VHS collection of train vids in his house). He said he'd look.
Yesterday he shows up with half dozen magazines and 5 freight cars for me, for free. :thumb: Turns out he is very knowledgeable about railroading in general and local roads in particular, was quite an education. He has a very hectic schedule, but we will no doubt find time to yak about trains some more.;) I promised to have him over as soon as the layout is running. Since he has a huge unfinished basement, I've volunteered to help him clean it out someday so the really big layout can be built. :D
My important tip of the day: never be afraid to mention your interest in trains to others. You don't know where it may take you, or what you may get for your troubles.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Great story:thumb: :thumb:

I wish my neighboor were like that too.....:( :eek: ;) :D

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping one of my customers who is now unable to enjoy his trains will remember me as kindly as I have been to him. I was the one in the past who extented myself to help him. Pat