Neon signs

Gary Pfeil

I have a DPM storefront type kit I want to build into a tavern. Does anyone know if neon type signs for various brands of beer are available anywhere? Or have a suggestion on how best to recreate them? Any help will be appreciated.

Gary

billk

Gary - Just did a search at the Walther$ site for "neon" - looks like Miniatronics might make what you need.
Bill

Gary Pfeil

Thanks Bill, I had looked there myself. The closest thing they have that would be somewhat usefull is one that says "Beer on tap" It is 1 1/8 x 1 5/8", I will check the window sizes tonight to see if it can be used. I know beggers can't be choosers but I'd like to find signs for Schlitz or Pabst and so on. A clever way to make my own would be most welcome. Thanks again.

Gary

Vic

Hi Gary, I have never tried this as neon signs don't fit my modeling era. My good friend Gilbert did this and it made some fair neon window signs.

First you're gonna have to find some Plexiglass in a "florescent" color. Check with your dealer he may have some scraps that he will just give you. 1/16th is a good thickness for this.

Cut the piece to the size you want. Then on the reverse side draw your sign backwards with a white gel or paint pen. You'll have to have some light behind it for it to show up good. The plexiglass will sorta glow and the white letters will show up. Like I said though they were only "fair" and to me weren't worth the trouble. Maybe you can improve on it. Sorry I can't post any pics...Gilbert is moving and all of his layout is packed away.

cidchase

Hi Gary,
You might generate your logos or signs using a script font in Paint, reverse the image color, then print out on a clear decal sheet. The clear script (applied to a clear backer) could then be backlit using colored LED's.
I have no idea if this would work well or not but might be worth a try?
:D :D
From Olive Branch

Gary Pfeil

I'd like to thank everyone who has replied! some good ideas here. The link Bill D provided for Miller seems to be just about perfect for my application. I will measure the windows tonight and see if I can get the sizes I need from them. This is an awesome site!

Gary

Gary Pfeil

The information Bill D provided has turned out to be most helpful! While I didn't quite get moist I did get a glimmer in my eye when I first saw the signs light up. These signs are from Brommer, link in post above. The photos were hastily prepared, throwing a few items together, but should give an idea of the effect possible. The building will get a detailed interior and the wires won't be visable, not the base to make figures stand. And a road that isn't paper. What do you want for 5 minutes?

Attachments

• p1010070.jpg
    p1010070.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 122

BDC

Looking good there Gary! Makes me thirsty just staring at it. Schlitz isn't that bad of a beer either. Tastes good and cheap - what more can you ask for? :)

BTW - are those wires inside the bar? Are they for the signs or something else?

Gary Pfeil

Tyson, Better your railroad than your home! BDC, yes they are the wires for thelamps, I was in a hurry to see what the signs would look like, then it was a matter of looking thru boxes for figures and vehicles. Just to post something quick. My plan is to build a bar with stools, a pool table and some tables and chairs. Maybe a rush hour crowd.

Gary

Gary Pfeil

Bill, I'm not sure what you mean. The signs themselves are laser etched on some type of clear acrylic or plexiglass and edge lit. The photo was taken with a digital camera. Thanks for the link! I'm thinking of getting one more sign to use on the wall behind the bar. I figure a large mirror the length of the bar, a sign in the center with the cash register beneath it, and shelves full of bottles on either side. Anyone know a good source for a lot of bottles? I thought to use styrene rod, sand a neck and cut to length, paint and call it good enough.

Gary

wsdimenna

Definitely adds a touch of realism

I thought you used the Miller engineering kits, where you cut your own signs and put the material over the layer.

bill