Nemo's Nautilus

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by F131, Mar 29, 2008.

1. F131

F131 Member

Thought some of you might like a look at my Nautilus I made about 2 years ago. I modified an already top notch model with balsa wood and other hardware parts for detail and strength. This kit was worth the $$.
  2. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

wow that is truly amazing a great marraig of paper wood and other stuff it is wonderfull good work..
  3. F131

F131 Member

Thanks for the compliment! I'm proud of it.

Here is a link for anyone interested in purchasing it:

Nautilus Submarine Model
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Looks like the model used in the movie. Nice pictures. =)
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

So your now an official convert to the paper model world! Your build of the Nautilus is still the one that all others is judged against.

6. F131

F131 Member

I had to throw in a plug for you.
    -After I finished the Nautilus, our family bought a fix-er-up home that took way too much of my free time. I am only now able to get back into model making. My daughter and I made "Bruce" yesterday from Finding Nemo and I now may have a model building buddy.

BTW, I like the new editions on your website. The Saturn V or the Galactica will probably be my next build. Hope all is well.
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Just fine thank you. My Niece is coming over today, 8 years old and might be the only paper modeler in my clan. I've given up on my kids, they are just not into it. We're planning on doing one of the doll houses from:

She's very excited.

Hope all is well with your crew, and I know all too well the black hole of time and money that is home owning. I just finished replacing all the 1980's track lighting with high hats. Now of course the whole house has to be painted...
  8. F131

F131 Member

I klnow what you mean. My oldest daughter likes plastic models only. My youngest wants me to build her Cinderella's castle from the Disney site, but I told her I would only build it if she helped....she kindly said she would think about it. Kids, they want everthing today.
  9. obiyan

obiyan New Member

10. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

The free Nautilus builds up into a nice model, but is only about half the size of Jon's kit. It also doesn't come anywhere near Jon's in realism.

Having said that, I have built 2 of the Disney Experience Nautilus' and they were very enjoyable builds.

I might have to order Jon's, though. The Nautilus is too cool and only gets cooler as it gets bigger. Besides, $50.00 for a 3' Nautilus is much better than $1500+ for the 6' fiberglass and resin kit.
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

First off, beautiful build and thanks for sharing your techniques!:thumb:

2ndly: That looks like a fun build.....

...., Agreed. I'm giving this model very serious consideration.
  12. F131

F131 Member

13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

14. F131

F131 Member

Thank you. I started building plastic models since the mid 70's and am now rediscovering models (plastic/paper) in my early 40's. I now have the patience for fine detail.
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You're welcome, it really is an impressive build.:thumb:
  16. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I bought that kit a few years ago and never built it. Stupid me! I had no idea it built into such a beautiful model. Lovely work, indeed!
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

That model was meant to be built. I am fully expecting that in my retirement I will pull into a diner in some off the beaten path and see one the Nautilus's above the cash register...
  18. pouncing_tiger

pouncing_tiger New Member

That is simply awesome!
  19. F131

F131 Member

Thank you. I'm working up to Padre's level of quality.
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

From the pictures, if people didn't know better, you'd be hard pressed to believe it's made of paper.