Neighbourly Interchange

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
I have been doing some thinking recently..sorry about all the smoke it causes! ;) , and well I wondered if.....

anyone on the Gauge simulated freight interchanges with other model railroads? If so how do you co-ordinate with the other layout owner which cars are to be picked up, and which are to be set down? Computer? timetabled moves ? or phone?

Simon

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I've considered this a couple of times; one with a fellow railroader in the US (we were planning to mail the car(s)). The other is with my brother, but he's not really into the hobby at this time (he will return, though, he will return). In that case we'd probably just interchange the cars at my parent's house, like what we do with tools, food, etc.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Catt's GVR and my MAT have had an interchange for some time now. We have gathered a number of additional interchanges with others as well. the GVR/MAT interchange takes place at Sarnia/Port Huron. Catt and I have exchanged locos but that is about as far as we have gone

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Thanks for replying guys..the reason I was asking, besides curiousity, is that I wanted to create a programming project for myself, and I thought that if people were co-ordinating operating systems, some sort of software might help. I was thinking of doing the project to practice parts of my programming skills I don't get to use enough in my day job, but I also wanted to write something that would be useful to other people. Therefore, I ask, would such a piece of software be useful in your opinion, and if so how would you envisage it working? What details would you consider important? I have some ideas already but I want to see if I'm way off base with those.

Simon