Needed a storage tank...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Herc Driver, May 29, 2006.

1. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I needed a storage tank for a new industry I'm adding into the layout and found that most any aerosol container top will do. (the whole scene is only roughed in...there's still lots of work to be done to get it all in place).

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Simple, effective, and ready made! Why not?! Looks like a storage tank to me! Some of those tops have a tiny hole in them that you could fit a freight car brake wheel into to create a valve of some sort as a detail. Neat!
  3. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Herc, looks like all you need now is the spiral staircase around the tank. :thumb: and as Ralph said a valve on the top.

Nice work. :wave:
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

from the looks of it your doing moderen era if so then the thank will need a containment berm around it .
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Reason #109 for why I should completely switch over to N scale---cheap but effective storage tanks....too cool:thumb:
  6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Pretty cool! I've used Campbell's soup cans cut in half lenghtwise to make N Scale Quonset huts. Ya just gotta put yer noggin to work, and you can find all sorts of stuff around the house to add to your layout.
  7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I agree it still needs some work...a berm for sure and ladder/staircase too. But for the price, you can't beat it. Now...what do I have around the house that resembles a building/industry???
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

That's one of the favorite parts of the hobby for me, to find things that look like other things and make models with them. Quonset huts from soup cans and storage tanks from areosol tops are brilliant. I've used contact lens solution bottles for cement company silos and shampoo bottles for a blast furnace. Cool stuff guys.
  9. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

tp tubes with a wrap of craft paper make concreat silo's.
  10. Joepomp

Joepomp Member

Bob, Don't do it man! I use the spray can top for roof top water tanks in HO.
    Ok, the thought has crossed my mind once.
  11. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Here's an idea that I"m workin' on now. I'm using thin strips of green Scotchbrite to make a hedge maze to place on my layout.
  12. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

What a coincidence! I've used a $40 Bar Mills craftsman kit as kindling. Note to self: Buy cheaper kits to learn with.
  13. b28_82

b28_82 Member

I got one to piggyback off the soupcan cut in half sideways..... How bout cutting the top and bottom off to create different sized grain bin or are the ribs too big?
  14. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Pretty good idea! Since I've seen grain bins with different sized ribs, I think it should do perfectly! Especially if you let it start to rust on it's own for that aged look.