Need your opinion!

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by gipovka, Nov 14, 2006.

1. gipovka

gipovka New Member

Hello All,

I am a computer programmer and web developer. I love to do paper models and spend all my free time doing this. I have a lot of scaned models (mostly polish magazines) that I already built and don’t know what to do with it. I have built a web site (not live yet) where people can download it for very low price, no shipping cost and waiting time. The only concern I have is legality. What do you guys think on this matter? Did I wasted my time building it or I can sell it online without warry that I scaned it and selling it? I really need people’s opinion!
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you pretty much wasted your time building that site.

We take a very grim view on piracy.

You can not sell any model kit that is not your own, you did not create the original artwork, you did not print the model, and you did not sell the model kit initially.
    You would be in direct violation of the publisher's copyright.

So the best thing to do is, forget about selling, and support the hobby and industry by buying legitmate produced model kits.

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Big Waste of Time.
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Just ask the designer,he'll probably allow it.
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Wrong PW,

selling of any scanned kit is illegal.
    violation of Copyrights

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

If you are not going to build the kit again from the scans, best to just delete them. You cannot copy and sell someone else's work. Not only is it illegal, it is immoral, indecent and unethical!

7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Having designed one of my own (by hand) I know how much work goes into getting them to turn out right.

If I found someone selling my model on Ebay or elsewhere, I know I'd be slightly... upset. :mad:

In this case, if the models were in magazines, then most likely the designer was paid a royalty by the publishers for their work. By purchasing the magazine, you bought the right to a personal copy of the model, but definately not to resell it for your own profit.
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome gipovka! I applaud your honesty about this. As you can see, the members are quick to address certain issues. Do not let this sway you from posting pics of any models you have built.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Oops... trust wooden to point out our lack of politeness.

Indeed, welcome- you asked a great question that just happens to be something of a hot-button issue here, so apologies if we sound harsh. :oops:

The important thing is that you asked first, rather than later. I salute your honesty. :)
  10. Kaz

Kaz Member

Yes, welcome...
    If the original publisher has indeed paid a royalty, then the publisher will own the copyright, similarly if the magazine commisioned it
  11. gipovka

gipovka New Member

Thank You!

Thanks a lot for quick replies. I guess I will just forget about this idea (was a good exercise though).
    Sorry if I touched anyone’s fillings about copyright and legal issues.

12. Gipovka:

This wasn't a waste, you can still use your preparations to market models that you design, or that others want to market through your site. Just make sure that for anything that you market you have the copyright holder's permission documented.

Tom W.

13. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

As I understand it you can always sell the models YOU have built on your web site and use your scanned images to build more for you to sell.
    You are selling a complete model/entity that required your time and effort to make and so can sell that.
    Please anyone else confirm or refute this.
  14. barry

barry Active Member

selling models

You can sell one model because you have paid for the licence to build it. If you build and sell another you need another licence however much work you put in it so did the manufacturer and the copyright still applies.
  15. SteveM

SteveM Member

Be very very careful here. If the original is a purchased printed kit, you can NOT scan it and legally sell even one copy even if you do destroy the original kit. Ethically that would be okay but legally you can only resell the original printed kit. If you scan it and build the scan, then you cannot ethically resell the original kit (unless you destroy the built model).

If the original is a purchased "soft copy", then you cannot resell it all. Typically you are only buying a license to build it, not to resell the soft kit.

When you buy a printed kit, you are buying an object not a "license to build" and so you can do whatever you want with that physical object. Creating a copy of that object is not allowed since you did not purchase the copyright.

When you buy a "soft copy" you are not buying a physical object and so additional rules apply. You are purchasing a license to publish that computer file and so what you can do in terms of the number of prints you can produce and for what purpose is governed by the license agreement.

So, have I totally confused everyone? :)

Barry, I reread Peter Hawkins note and now I understand what you were saying. Yes you are totally correct. Except you don't need to talk of licenses. As you say, when you buy a kit, you can rsell it, or you can build it. Once built you can sell that as well. You cannot make copies of it, build the copies and sell those. You do not buy the right to copy when you buy a kit.
  16. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Steve and Barry,

Thanks for the replies.
    I understand what you are saying and how it works.

cheers for clearing it up.