need trrack plan for a 2x14

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Well I would just start laying out your track or track templates on your benchwork untill you find a setup that you're happy with. Is is an industrial switching area or a yard set up where you're breaking up and building trains? What about buildings and industries? it's better to figure out what room you might need for those now than later when the track it in. Be sure as you are planning to use an engine and a few cars to check length in sidings and the like, nothing worse that laying all your track and discouvering the trains won't fit!

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
ok i will do that and i am looking at a more industrial switching area but would like to build a train too. i dont really know about the buildings yet.

N

nachoman

you know, 14' is pretty long...maybe you could divide he layout into two sections, and have a 6' fiddle yard on one end and an industrial area on the other. Use the fiddle yard for storing dars and building short trains, then pull them over into the industrial part and spot cars. You can put some kind of divider between the two - short segment of a wall, a bunch of tall buildings...

just my thoughts, anyway.

kevin

RevnJeff

Feb 20, 2006
Northwoods of Wisconsin
www.pegnsean.net
13Mtrainer said:
hello everyone:wave:

i am looking for a heavy switching layout that will fit into a 2.5x14' space. in HO.

thanks in advance
13Mt

With 2 1/2 feet wide space, you could have a 6 foot hidden staging yard, with a 3 track interchange yard in front of that. There's a Yahoo group called "Small Layout Design." They have some great ideas for layouts. With 14 feet long, you can lengthen almost any of their plans.

Tell me what era you are considering. I will try to come up with something plausible.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
i tried to make one basing it on the industrial tracks that pass by my town, but the mount holly yard ( its not big) took up 10 feet, even with trying to shorten it.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There;s an interesting start in John Armstrong's Track Planning for Realistic Operation (Kalmbach, 1963, my copy 1971) in Chapter 11. It is full of switchbacks and you have to run the length of the layout 3 times to get from one corner to the opposite.
Smaller than you asked (I think) but expanding a layout is never a problem.