Need Track advice

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by lionelsteam, Feb 11, 2007.

1. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

Ok, I have an oval track thats 6ft long, and 4ft wide, and its lionel track 027 gauge, and well about 75% runs fine, but there is a spot around a corner where the train basically slows down alot, like at half speed, the train sometimes comes to a stop, so i know its not getting enough power on 3 or 4 sections of track, and the pieces have been cleaned and that dosen't help. Its only like 6 sections of track away from where the power is connected to the track. So, should i move the section where the power connects to the track under the 3 or 4 pieces where it slows down? I dunno, because i tried moving it over, and then it slows down somewhere else on the track. Any advise please?
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I've noticed mine does that right before it gets to the lockon as well.
    You might try a trick Dave Farquhar taught me: Make two loops of wire under your benchwork. Connect one loop to your positive output on your transformer and the other loop to the negative. Then run a wire from each loop to a section of track in each of the 4 corners and connect the wires to the track. Or just put a CTC Lockon on each side of the track, run all four positive wires together to one single wire from the transformer and do the same with the negative wires. That should help even out the power distribution.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Yep - Cannonball is on the right track (so to say), you need to add more feeder wires to your layout. Also check that the connecting pins are clean and tight. :thumb:

You will also find that some engines will slow down on the tight curves, just because it is O27 track.
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I have a similar problem with an AF S-gauge loco (0-8-0) of 1950's vintage. When I set it up (on the floor, of course), it starts working well, but after a few minutes of running, it begins to slow down. Any ideas??
    I've had this set since I was 10 yrs. old...
  5. Cannonball

That's odd. Usually older trains seem to loosen up and run better after a little time on the track. At least that's always been the experience I've had with mine. I'm assuming it's been cleaned and lubed well? Clean wheels and track? Perhaps it's time to replace the bushings in the motor? Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue on this one.
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

7. Cannonball

That's what I meant when I said bushings. :oops:
  8. lionelsteam

lionelsteam New Member

So Just asking, since i don't have another lockon, is the wire thats positive the center rail? So what i do is turn the power off and solder a positive wire to the center rail, and the negative wire can be solder to any of the 2 outside rails for negative? is that correct??

Then just hook up positive and negative on the transformer? My transformer is A B And U, so would A,B, be positive? Then U wire negative? I don't wanna connect the wires wrong. Or does it not matter?
  9. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

10. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The only reason it matters is for whistling tenders. If you don't want to solder, go to a hardware store and get some crimp-on quick disconnect spades. They'll be in the electrical section. Crimp them onto the ends of the wires, then push the spades into the underside of the tracks. A package of those spades costs a couple of dollars, so it's cheaper than lockons and easier than soldering. And if you hook it up wrong, it's easy to yank the spades back out and reverse them.

Rather than try to remember which wire goes where with what transformer, I just hook it up, put a whistling tender on the track, push the whistle button and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then I know I reversed it.
  11. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'd start with a good thorough clean and lube and maybe replacing the brushes. One cause of that kind of behavior can be something binding. Does the motor run hot? Cleaning it and replacing the brushes will eliminate two of the reasons for it running hot.
  12. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll tear into it & see if that fixes it up. Somewhere I've got a source for AF spare parts.
  13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

You might check that the pins connections are tight. You may ned to squeeze the ends of the open rails together a bit -- use narrow or long nose pliers on the web (the bit just under the round bit of the rail). The 2 sides of the web should be tight together - they get spread over the years when you wiggle the rails apart.
  14. tommyd215

tommyd215 New Member

I have had this problem also.
    What I did was cut a piece of wire, abot 2feet long,
    I then jumped the center rail from one track to another until I found thr problem area.
    I then took a small jumper and a heavy duty soldering gun a solderer a jumper between the tracks.
    Same process for the outer rail.