need to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rich maiorano, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Mike R

Mike R Member

Rich...give it your best paraphrase Dave Dudley, right now I'm "Six days on the Patch and again no Cigar Tonight !" Sort of seriously, I don't crave a cigar as much as Day #1 & 2, but once in a while I think I'd like to maybe slap an extra patch, maybe on my butt, to go with the one on my shoulder. This is of course not allowed, so I'll go now and find my little bag of mints.
    Really seriously out there, even a lousy six days, and stuff is starting to taste better already...[ except for things that never could taste good in the first place.]
    best of luck everyone who's trying to quit.
    regards / Mike
  2. RI541

RI541 Member

new use for patches

Well It's been over a week for me now and I must say I'm doing doing good, Still about 10 aday But trying to get it down more.

The problem I'm having is the pathes don't stick very well,I must have got a bad batch of glue.

The other problem is I have to take the patch off at night or the dreams I have are just too disturbing. Then its the morning craving so I light up and then put the patch on.

I'm smoking right now, DAMN am I weak... Actualy Its the weekend and I'll be home most of the weekend with the family, I've been out this week helping a friend with the wiring on his truck, finaly got it done last night. I told him 'I was going to take it easy till they took out the stiches. I need to keep my hands busy, I know WORK ON THE RR but there's so much other stuff to do.

Anyhow, I've found a use for the clear backing of the patche's. I was building some DPM buildings and went to put the windows in and found myself using the backing of the patch on mistake, I had left them on the table where I was working. They worked out great and I didn't realize it until I ran out and had to find some more glass. The stuff in the kits is alot thicker. If my lay-out ever gets hit by a tornado I don't have to worry about those windows being broke, Kinda like useing plexi-glass :) :) :)

Good day and good luck
  3. Catt

Catt Guest

I'm a week shy of seven months since I quit.I just want you guys to know I still have the cravings for nicoteene but I manage to hold out and you guys can too.

If you can't do it for yourselves think how much better it will be for your mate and your children because they won't be exposed to the smoke and other crap from your addiction.Then again theres all the money you will have to spend on something else.

By the way it took a triple bypass and a aortic heart valve transplant (coumadin for the rest of my life) to get me to quit.
  4. Mike R

Mike R Member

Last day

I know this is an old thread, but today is day#42 on the patch, my last day on the program. Cravings are down to maybe only twice a day..main craving always was first thing AM, along with about 5 coffees,but I no longer have that.
    Hope others have quit or cut way back too, there were quite a few who wanted to.
    Bought a new Porter Cable table saw with what I would've spent on cigars over 12 weeks.[ It's 1:1 scale, but it will be getting a B&O decal anyway.]
    Good luck anyone else who's still cutting down or out.
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hi 5 Mike! I was wondering the other day how you folks were doin'. When you crave you have to focus on the benifits of not smokin' and focus on your loved ones. If tomorrow is rough without the patch, you might try getting another box a little ones and cut them in half. Best of luck to all you quitters!
  6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Just want you to know I'm pullin' for you, buddy!
    For me, there was a point somewhere around 6 to 9 months where I really got "over the hump", & the crave really dropped off.
    It's been 7 years for me now, & now I can't even stand the smell of the %$#@ things!
    Last winter, we were visiting a relative in the hospital, on a bitter cold rainy day, & of course, there outside the entrance, was that sad little huddle, being buffeted by wind & rain, their collars up, & their heads down, sucking on those precious cigarettes...As we dashed by them, to get in out of the cold, my wife gave me that sly little grin, & asked, "Don't you miss hanging out with them?" It's amazing the lengths smokers will go to to satisfy that crave! Alot of the silliness of it never occured to me until after I quit!
  7. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Rich, Mike and the rest,

Not being or ever having been a smoker myself I do not relate to what you are going through. But, having lost my wife' mother and sister and at least 4 friends to Lung cancer and emphasemia, I cheer and congratulate any one who has the guts to "rough" it for what ever time it take to shake the habit. You guys have already mentioned the benefits that you feel are important and the others in the group are with you for support if you need a "pick-me-up" or a boot in the pants (your choice).

Just be proud of your daily accomplishment and keep us informed on your progress. Success stories are always good for both the writer as well as the reader.:) :)
  8. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hey Catt.....Hang in there buddy:) ....Going on several years for me and I still dream about smoking when asleep!!!:D :D :D
  9. trainworm

trainworm Member

well y'all, I just quit on monday afternoon.

I ran out of cigarettes just before I was supposed to leave for California, and decided not to buy any more. so far, I am doing pretty well. had some cravings, mostly after eating, but I have resisted them all so far. chewing gum really helps. My co-driver is a smoker, so i constantly have that reminder and temptation sitting on the dash board. i think thats a good thing. if i can resist grabbing one of his smokes, i can quit for good this time.

last time i quit, it lasted a year. then i started smoking again when i became a truck driver because of the stress. (ok...lousy excuse, but it worked for me)
  10. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

being a trucker my self thats the worst time for me still smoking but still trying:D :D :D rich
  11. marty w.

marty w. Member

I'm still doing OK. Down to less then a pack a week.
    However, I still can not! drink beer and not smoke!
    Good luck to you all.
  12. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I had to give up the beer for a while to quit. It's just to easy to light up when you've had a few!
  13. YakkoWarner

YakkoWarner Member

Marty, Try not drinking or change what you're drinking. I had to give-up playing pool for about a year. Everytime I played a game the craving would overcome me and I couldn't concentrate, so I stopped playing for a while.

I am 5 days away from my two year mark.

I occasionally dream I am smoking, I still think about it several times a day, and have a passing want for a smoke about twice a week. The last time I had a real craving was about 6 weeks ago, while playing pool! Deep breaths, gum chewing, whatever it takes, but most of all surround yourself with people who want you to succeed.
  14. marty w.

marty w. Member

Jon and Yakko-
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I was hoping not to give up beer too.:mad: :mad:
    But, I think you guy's are right, I'll lay off it for awhile and see if that helps.
    Thanks again.
    No beer - more money for trains :D :D :D :D
  15. Catt

Catt Guest

As of yesterday it has been eight full months without a cigarette.Yesterday evening my wife told me she is so proud of me for not giving in to the smokes (One hell of an ego boost I'm telling you :D ).

By the way today makes it 37 years since she said I do ,and I said me toooooooo.

Don't know what I'm doing right but I hope I keep doing it .:D :D :D
  16. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Happy Anniversary Catt!

17. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Catt and All of you that are trying to or have quit - congratulations for every day that you have been successful and a pat on the back and encouragement for you to continue. Each of you have your own reason to be proud of your accomplishment and when it gets tough for you to resist, just think about all of us out here who will try to help you with a quick yell or note of praise for what you have done and still can do.

Catt congrats on your 37th also. Whatever you are doing is keeping Mama happy.:D :D

Have a good day:) :)
  18. marty w.

marty w. Member

Keep it up Catt!
    Happy Anniversary too.
    BTW - Our discussion on freelancing has got me thinking. You may convert me yet. I have been working on a history of a freelance road. I've been doing alot of reseach.
  19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hey Catt, I missed that part of your post. Belated CONGRATS and hope you and the wifey had a nice 37th. Let me know if you figure out what yer doin' rat! 37, that's great.

Hey, it seems like you haven't been posting much, you OK? Wife gotcha tied up in the basement again? (I would assume that would be part of the anniversary gift :D :D :D sick) Maybe I need to poke fun at the On30 consp. and getcha goin'!