need to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rich maiorano, Sep 15, 2002.

1. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

thanks for the support guys and looking all ready on e-bay and I printed out the spookshow grades so I know what to and not to buy and cidchase steam is the only way to go :cool: :cool: :D :cool: :cool: rich
  2. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

It's tough to quit....

I smoked from 13 to 26. That's 13 years too long.

It was Pnumonia that finally got me to quit. It's hard to smoke when you can hardly breath.

I guess it was cold turkey 'cause I couldn't smoke for a couple of weeks 'til the pnumonia cleared up.

At that point, I figgured I'd made it that far, so I might as well keep going.

There were cravings, and it was uncomfortable for a few months. That's were you really need the will power.

The other part was learning how to breath again. It seemed that the only time I was used to taking a deep breath was when I was taking a drag. You sometimes have to remind yourself to take deep breaths. Once you can breath deeply without taking a drag, you should be fine.

Having the extra cash for Model Railroadin' and other fun stuff is a great incentive too...

Good luck! Remember that you are not alone.
  3. Mike R

Mike R Member

This is a pretty darn good thread on quitting smoking, and why, and who's done what...almost like an "AA" of smokers...maybe we are an "NN" ????
    I started at 13 years old, parents both smoked at the time, didn't see a problem, neither did they. Most everybody who lived in Britain during WWII smoked, and I thought most everyone, everywhere must have.
    I quit for 7 years one time,( gained 40 lbs. ) back in the late 60's, then one time, at a bar where my weekend band was playing, I had one of those little "Colt" cigars, because the smoke was so thick up on the stage, you might as well have one. Lost the 40 lbs. within 2 weeks....but was back on cigarettes the same night.
    Then in the late 70's quit for 3 years again, started again due to personal, what a success story.
    Quit cigarettes for good February 2001, but then got way too used to those little "Colts" going on the "patch" next week...this time it's the last time...I'm not giving up beer or scotch like the other gentleman, but I've just plain had it with the's gone for good this time.
    So in the last 47 years I have smoked for 37 of them...not good !
    60 years old, and too-soon-old-and-too-late smart...
  4. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

I start this and am sitting here smoking go figure bad day stiil under a pack so I quess thats good and my two grandsons came home from foster care today so life is good:p :D :cool:
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

I quit smoking March 12th 2002 at 3:48 pm.How do I know that? you may ask. Because that was the time my youngest son dropped me off at Butterworth-Spectrum to begin a visit that would lead to a triple by-pass and an aortal valve transplant.Think thats a good enough reason to quit? How about my dad had cancer four times before it finally ended up somewhere they couldn't operate.(then he quit smoking-lived twice as long as they said he would).I still have a circulation problem in my legs,but by quiting smoking I'll eventually help that.Do I miss smoking? Hell yes,but I have a five foot tall brunette that is so happy I'm not smoking that I'll never ever need another cigarette.Ok ya wanna know the real reason I quit? She loves me.(go figure)
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Four years ago, at age 76, my mother had bypass triple bypass surgery. she had lived in Florida for years, but needed to move in with me following her surgery. I know for a fact she didn't smoke for the next year, as she only was able to go to a store with me or my wife. And we sure as hell never would buy cigs, and she never asked for them, to her credit. However, she improved with our encouragement to be more active and eat better. She was able to take care of herself again and moved out. She died this past February, she had been smoking heavily again, her lungs just couldn't support her anymore. Catt, I hope you succeed in quitting, don't think for a minute it's over yet! good luck to all of you who are attempting to quit. I wish you all well.

7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Don't worry about being 60, Mike, it's not too late. You can still avoid COPD IMHO, this is the worst way to go; suffication over several years. If your not convinced, go to any hospital or nursing home and ask if there's a COPD patiant you can talk to... if they can still talk.

It all starts getting better when you get off 'em.

Thank God the Gauge had enough insight to make a General Talk forum that is open so we can have this wonderful thread. This may well prove to save the lives of several good people.

Gary: Sorry to hear about your mother. You gave her some extra quality time and a lot of it with her son which must have meant the world to her.

Rock on guys and keep quitting! You can do it.

8. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Rich: Way to go, As a reformed smoker myself, I know that you will feel a lot better in a few months and in a few more you will feel better than you ever imagined (and that extra money will feel even better:cool:).
    Mike: like others have said, You are Never too old to give up that habit for good and I agree with you on that drink, as there is nothing wrong with a few after work or on a hot afternoon.
    Gary: My condolences on the loss of your mother, as I too had to watch my own mother fall to cancer.
    She smoked heavily for as long as I can remember and continued to do so after she was diagnosed with lung cancer and, despite treatment, it eventually spread to her liver, bowels and finally, to her brain and, over a period of a year, she went from a vibrant, active life loving person to a dedridden, confused shell of her former self.
    She passed away a year ago this past August and the one memory that will be burned in my mind for a long time to come will be that of my mother, in a hospital bed, during her final seizure, trying to reach for another cigarette.
    I too wish everyone the best of luck in quitting the habit, as the money is better spent on other, more useful things such as our great hobby:) :D :cool:.

9. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

still smoking but am under a pack a day still and have to make the move to not smoking at all soon real soon:( :mad: :( rich
  10. Harley

Harley New Member

Hi Rich
    I quit for 23 years and started back about two years ago because of the death of one of my best friends. He asked me to put a pack in his box if anything ever happened to him, but to make sure it was open. Soon after he rode into a parked truck. I opened it, smoked one, and was hooked again for over a year and a half. Got pneumonia this last summer and quit again June 28th. Was easy at first, and it's getting easier each day. I just hope I ain't that stupid again! It is well worth the trouble to stop.
    Good Luck
  11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Member

Hi Rich,

How is the quitting going? I know it's tough...I quit "this time" only a few months ago. Years ago, I did the patch and thought I was gonna die...wanted to die actually. I was allergic to it and I suffered unnecessarily for 9 weeks. This time...pneumonia helped me quit, as well as my Husband. Believe me, after I got well, the cravings started in bad. I'm still jones'in some, but it gets easier each day. Bless my Husband...I've not been very nice through this...but, he understands as we quit at the same time. He's not having the cravings anymore. I've gained 20 lbs., and I sure don't need the extra weight. I can't make myself exercise yet...I'm still in the "pity party/ perturbed stage."
    I watched my Blessed Mama die a slow horrible death from cancer. The kicker is....she didn't smoke, drink, cuss or chew! I should be counting my blessings that I don't have cancer after all these years.
    Hang in there and don't be too hard on yourself. It's tough to quit, but we just have to be tougher.

Happy Railroading...pass it on!
    Debbie :p
  12. marty w.

marty w. Member

Rich, Larry
    How's it going?
    I started not to smoke in the car on Sunday.
    Tuesday was very bad for me. I had a business trip and was on the road for 5 hrs. I managed not to smoke. Verrrrry hard.
  13. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

still at about a carton a week but better than were I was still trying may try and go cold turkey soon :( ;) :p :D rich
  14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Good will-power Marty. Rock on. I ran across the old pipe and tobaco cleaning the garage last night and was tempted after all these years. It was pretty easy to not mess with it, but it called my name and I thot about all of you quitting. BTW: don't fall into the trap of trying to use another type of tobaco. That's why I had a pipe. I was a cig addict, and the pipe was a failure mode one of the early quits. L8r guys and gals...
  15. Sandia

Sandia New Member

Smoking discussion. Best advise dont ever start or quit right now cold turkey. I haven't posted much this summer do to the fact that I have just completed 7 weeks of radiation treatments for cancer on the epoglotis, which is in the throat. Size of the tumor was effecting my voice, started to sound like a squeaky mouse. Still recuperating from the radiation. Voice is still not normal, can't taste anything , it all tastes like straw, sore throat it hurts to swallow, even water. This will eventually get well in a month or two, but it is no joke to go through all this type of procedure.

Besides all that good news I have a bad case of empheseyma and am on oxygen 24/7, stopped smoking 7 years ago when they put me in the hospital with pnuemonia. So think about it, I am 73 years old and these are supposed the golden years, but I think mine are a little corroded, when the wheels come off the wagon you are in a world of hurt. Give me a week or two and I will start on my first N scale layout that I have been arm chairing for 30 years and have quite a collection of N material.

Change that old GI saying if you got em light em, I would say if you got em' throught them away.
  16. Mike R

Mike R Member

On the Patch

'On the Patch" for 24 hours now. My head says it's working, but every few hours my body seems to argue with it. HOWEVER, it's time for patch #2, so there's my "hit" coming.
    Guess this thing won't work for everyone, but give it a try if you haven't before.You've got a bunch of improving health t gain out there.And some money.
    best of luck / Mike
  17. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Red,
    Hope your situation is improving!! And let us know how the layout is coming when you get a chance. Get well soon!
    Best Wishes from Olive Branch,:D
  18. RI541

RI541 Member

I'm cheating a little bit here, I just got back surgery on the 25th and the surgeon (who smoked through college) set me up on the patch as soon as I was awake. It's working so far, I'll lite my wife a smoke and take a drag or three, But it is working. But like Mike R says the mind and body think differantly. I'm probrolby down to less than 5 a day which is a big drop from 60. I feel alot better so I'm pushing to beat this.

The sad part is I went through surgery, survived one ex-wife, recovered alcholic/pothead, and this is the hardest thing to kick. I thought I was alot stronger than this but I'll be the first to tell anyone its a living hell to quit. I'M SOOOO WEAK:D :) :D :)
  19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I hear those are carcinagenic :D
    But you've got good friends pullin' for ya!
  20. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

still smoking but I think just pick the wrong time to quit to much strees going on around here still trying but with thats going on it seams like one thing after another but I will not bore you guys with details thanks again for the support and I will keep trying and good luck to you guys too:D :D :p rich