need to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by rich maiorano, Sep 15, 2002.

1. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

hey guys my CFO(wife) as inform me if I quit smoking I can use all the money that goes up in smoke on any thing I want to now we are taking 2 cartons a week here so want do you guys think I should spend it on:D :D :D :p :rolleyes: :confused: damm I got one hell of girl:eek: :D :p rich
  2. Mike R

Mike R Member

Good luck, Rich ! I'm trying the 'patch' beginning Sept 23...the gum just made me ill. That 'spend it any way you want' sounds like a great incentive.Regards / Mike
  3. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

I think it was John Allen who, when asked how much money he spent on all that train stuff he would point to a pack of cigs and a bottle of booze he kept that equalled the price per day.

Sombody may correct me on the per day thing?

4. According to Lynn Westcott...

John Allen equated the expense to that of 2 packs of cigarettes. But you're right about the "per day," t.

I don't know what they cost elsewhere around the country, but I think they're around $5 per pack where I live. (Not sure because I don't smoke.) At any rate, I wouldn't mind having $10 per day to spend on the hobby week in and week out :eek: :p :D :D
  5. Vic

Vic Active Member

GOOD LUCK RICH!!!!:) :)

I quit about 6 years ago. COLD TURKEY! Best damn thing I ever did!!!:) :cool: Just "Grin and Bare It":D Drink gallons of water and eat a lot of fresh fruit. Only takes a few days to get the nicotine out of your system. Patches didn't work for me....were just a substitute for smokes!!!:( :D
  7. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

I've been smoking for 52 years now!

Gad! All that money spent for nothing but a dangerous and dirty habit that does nothing for you but satisfy the need the cigs created in the first place.

I've never even tried to quit, but suppose I finally will some day. If the nicotine Nazis weren't so pushy, I'd probably have quit by now. But they do tick me off.

What's dangerous is, I guess, dependent upon where you live. Here in California you cannot smoke inside anywhere but your own home. Not restaurants, not bars, not anywhere. I don't argue with that. It isn't a big deal. But a few years ago, on a driving trip through Nebraska, we spent the night in a small town, and went to a local tavern/steak house for dinner. This is, remember, in the heart of "cattle country." It was quite a lark for us to learn that we could smoke in the place. It is, after all, rather pleasant to linger over a coffee after dinner and have a cigarette. But when I ordered my steak "rare" I was told that it is against the law there to cook any meat less than "medium"!!!!!

So, in California it's cigarettes that kill. In Nebraska, it's rare beef that does it?

Bill S
  8. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

thanks guys i already cut back to lees than a pack for three days
    now and at $41.50 a carton that runs into a lot money a month quess I can start looking at the upper end of our hobby and buy my girl something nice too I quess I should start working on that layout plan and go buy some lumber because it looks like I will be starting soner than I thouht :D :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :p :D
  9. Vic

Vic Active Member

Bill S.....I quit smoking so I could afford to eat steak!!!:D :D :D Now I learn that's a bad idea too:eek: :D :D :D :D :D Next thing you know I'll have to give up my "suds" too:eek: :eek: :eek:

Youre absolutley right about the "Nicotine Nazis" they do make things miserable for those who do smoke and are probably sticking their noses where they don't belong:D :D Although I'm a "quitter" smoke doesn't bother me and anyone who does smoke is welcome at my house and can smoke if they want to.:) :D :D :D
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

I smoke and take coffee. I found that giving up the bottle was alot easier then these dang old cigs. I am happy to report I am down to 4 packs a week.starting next week,I am cutting down to 3 packs. Rich,I asure you that quiting smoking will be good for us.Good Luck and hang tough!
  11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Good luck Rich on quitting!
  12. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Rich: Your other saving will be on track cleaning.

Went to the doctor. Was told to cut down -- I didn't smoke, don't drink, so he said to cut down caffeine - coffee & chocolate. I grabbed that before he said to cut down on women or trains.
    Man, is it hard to give up chocolate! Ever look at the buffet dessert table?
  13. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Give up COFFEE and CHOCOLATE????

Oh, geez. Just shoot me right now. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

YOU CAN DO IT! I did. I smoked over 20 years and smoked a LOT. I've been off 'em for 3 years and finally I feel great. Two things worked for me:

1. Patches: They're way too expensive and the steps between the sizes is way too big. So I threw away the instructions, and always bought the biggest patch. I didn't just stay on patches for life though, like I said, they're expensive. So I just started cutting the patch down. The first step, I took off 1/4, and I saved the cut off part, and after 3 days of 3/4 patches, I used the 3 cut off 1/4 patches at once, so the cost went down. I kept reducing the patch size every week, until it was a stupid little dot. Never felt any withdraw as I always did before. When you put on your first patch, throw away your smokes and never pick them up again. If you smake one on the patch, it's dangerous and your doomed to fail at that point.

2. Excersize. I wish I knew the importance when I quit smoking. I didn't pick up the excercise until after the fact, and I went through a lot of unnecessary pain. You need to pick up some form of arobic exercise. I suggest a brisk walk right when you wake up. Starting at a half mile and work up to 1 1/2 to 2 mile a day. By arobic, I don't mean you gotta put on a tutu and bounce around in front of an excercise video; I mean long lasting (1/2 hour +) continuouse excercise that gets you heart rate up, like walking, biking, jogging, swimming, etc. I guess the video workouts are fine too, but why not get some fresh air? I felt grumpy, sleepy, edgy, itchy for TWO YEARS after I quit smoking. Now, after I began walking regularly, I feel a lot better. Here's why:

You're an addict. Your chemical balance is wacked out, perminantly damaged and has compensated for having nicotine dumped upon it everyday. Everytime you light up, you body releases endorphines. They act the same way morphine does on you. When they wear off, you get withdraw, and you get grumpy. Guess what? After about twenty minutes of a brisk walk, your body produces the same endorphines and give you a warm fuzzy. They last a lot longer than if you smoke. You can tell when thay are released sometimes if your achy like me, you might have, say a sore knee. After about a mile, your pain goes away. Just take it easy at first and check with a doctor if you are not young and certain of your health.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Keep the money in mind. I'll be pulling for you!

15. billk

billk Active Member

Rich - As long as it's your decision, not the Nicotine Nazi's...

ps to Bill Stone - In Nebraska, 'rare' is uncooked!
  16. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I quit smoking about 7yrs ago...I used patches, gum, nail-chewing, & wall-climbing :D:rolleyes: :D
    I haven't done a lot of smart things in my life, but that was definitely one.
    One thing I didn't even consider, until I had already gotten off the things, was the amount of money that now remained in my pocket! It was a very pleasent little surprise! I never really realized how much I had spent for all those years! And they're twice as high now, than when I quit!
    I must point out too, that this hobby helped me kept my hands & mind busy, & off the need for a fix.
    Another thing, Rich...if you're only quitting because your wife wants you to, you'll never make it. YOU'VE got to want to stop!
    It is a powerful habit, & it takes major determination on your part to get over it.
    The best of luck to you, my friend!
  17. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

Good Luck Rich, I quite cold turkey 4 years ago!! Hardest thing I have ever done!! but I like you now use my "habit" money for my favorite "habit" it is unbelieveable how much Model RR "stuff" you can purchase on $200 extra a month!!
  18. marty w.

marty w. Member

I have made many attempts to quit over the past few years and never have done it, yet.
    I have tryed the pill's, patch's, cold turkey, etc.
    I now am using places that I will not smoke in.
    I started not smoking in the house, then the train room, then at work and starting next week not smoking in the car. I think I have associated doing things with smoking. This seems to be working for me. I use to smoke 2 packs/day and now I'm down to approx. 3 packs/week.
    So how about we all give progress reports on our success?
    Rich, Larry and anybody else that is willing to quit.
  19. YakkoWarner

YakkoWarner Member

This Thanksgiving will be two years smoke free for me. I quit cold turkey with a few people to help.

I found two people I knew that had quit. I got them to promise me that they would be available for support at any time on any day from any where. I used them frequently during the first few weeks. It is nice to be able to call someone to help you through your jones'.

I took up origami. It occupies your mind AND your hands and it creates something beautiful at the same time.

There are chocolate filled long round cookies, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that filled a bit of the void as well.

And excersize is SO important! I started treadmill 20 min a day, and learned how to play ping pong. (Don't laugh, doubles ping-pong will run you around!) and I still gained 20 lbs!

The cravings tapered off for me over the year, no I go almost an hour between the times I want a cigarette, and I haven't jonesed hard for about a month.

Good luck.
  20. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Rich,
    I almost replied before I read Charlie's post, but he said it for me.
    If you feel like you "need" to quit, or you "ought" to quit, you will not do it for long.
    If you want to quit, you will succeed.

I must have stopped twenty times. Cutting down, putting a rubber band around the pack, nicotine gum, etc. didn't work for me. What did work was deciding that I was NOT going to remain an addict any longer, and quitting cold turkey. I had just had enough!!

I believe that it is 90% mental. The physical desire is banished by the overwhelming desire to be free of the butts.

Anyhow, that's just my experience. Every person is different.
    I'm sure we all wish you the best of success. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, and don't quit quittin'!!
    :D :D :D
    PS spent it on steam power:p