need to buy a switcher

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by justind, Feb 21, 2002.

1. justind

justind Member

Hello all,
    I am going to buy a switcher and I am looking for suggestions. The choices are:

Atlas S-1, S-2, S-3 or S-4 for $39.99
    Life like EMD SW9/1200 for $39.99

Which would you suggest, which one would perform the best overall?

And can anyone tell me what these roadnames are:
  2. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

You model in HO, right? If you were in N, the I think the choice of the Life-Like SW9/1200 would be a no-brainer. If their HO version is as good, then I'd recommend it. But I'm not familiar with the performance and quality of the others.

FEC - Florida East Coast - The railroad that had that line to the Florida Keys.
    NKP - Nickel Plate Road (aka, New York, Chicago and St. Louis)
    N&W - Norfolk and Western
    C&H - I dunno...
    EL - Erie-Lackawanna? Maybe...
    IC - Illinois Central
    MP - Missouri Pacific (aka, MOPAC)
    WAB - Wabash

Here's another interesting site I found the other day. It lists just about every abbreviation you can think of!

3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

LifeLike, if it isn't Proto 1000, or Proto 2000, it probably isn't worth messing with. The basic Life Like product doesn't run that well.
  4. justind

justind Member

I assumed from the look of the unit that it must be at least Proto 1000, but because they didn't specify, I couldn't tell for sure. Ultimately I decided to go with the Atlas S-3 unit. It looked a little beefier and a little older and I thought it would fit my time period better. It may be that the SW9/1200 is an older unit, but then I am not very prototypical. I ordered it through Hobby Circle for $39 which I felt was a good price. I noticed that used ones on Ebay usually creep that high in price, especially the SW9's. We'll see when it get's here. :)
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

If it is a SW9/12 it is indeed a Proto 2000.It's the only SW unit LifeLike makes.
  6. IMRL393

IMRL393 Member

... until later this year - they are coming out with a P2K SW8 !

Justind -

I have both the P2K RI SW9 and the Atlas S1. Both are fine locos!
    You should be happy with your Atlas.

- George