Need suggestion for metal roof

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'd like to make a corregated steel roof in N-scale. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried making corregations in tinfoil, but it didn't work out too well.

Any help would be appreciated... Robin... anyone?

Thanks!

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Model Expo is selling a car repair shop in N scale that has lots of corregated steel and lots of glass. It selling for under $5, but right now they're running a sale, like 25 to 50% off most stuff. I built one, but I think it's too big for my layout so I'm going to save it for parts to scratchbuild with.

Don

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I happened to notice the other day that the surface of ribbon cable, used in computers a lot, looks a lot like a corrugated roof (in some scale or another) - just needs to be painted the right color.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Andrew, even though you have heard from others and Trainclowns excellent tutorial, the only way I have done corrugated roof is the aluminum foil, some foam and a fine tooth comb which I dragged across the foil resting on the foam. Tricky but got enough to do what I wanted.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Andrew!
I've used Evergreen scribed siding to represent a metal roof...
Here's a Model Power house that I kitbashed with this type of roof...

Attachments

• farmhouse1.jpg
    farmhouse1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 182

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks again for the suggestions. Here's what I did in the end:

I combined the "stamping" process described by trainclown with the suggestion for the ribbon cable from billk.

I sandwiched a piece of aluminum foil between two layers of the cable, making sure that the layers of cable were straight and "nested" together. Applied some pressure, and voila - corregated metal.

It is a bit oversize for N-scale, but from a distance looks fine. It is a little fragile, but will work well with some care.

Picture to follow...!

Andrew

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I forgot the penny, but this is about a 2" X 4" section. Used foil, so I think you could do a lot better with new. Might be better off painting the ribbon or using contact adhesive and pressing the foil into the ribbon cable. These are pretty fragile. The "fine" one looks about like the roofing material that comes in woodland scenics kits for HO.

Attachments

• ribbon.jpg
    ribbon.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 170