Need some ground crew help

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

One thing I've noticed on some of our plastic brother's aircraft when modeled on the deck (ground for you airdales), is the "remove before flight" tags. My question is this, when do they actually get removed, during start up? or before that? Also I've seen the red intake covers on deck based aircraft too. Also, where are these tags actually hung? I've seen them on the seeker head covers of AIMs and bomb fuzes, but are there other "things" that they are attached too? Thanks for your collective ideas and advice in advance, T
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

My guess is munitions are inspected by the load chief who pulls the tags.

Covers are pulled more than likey prior to engine start by the prep crew.
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

During my "airdale" days, I would watch what the AF ground crews would do while I refueled aircraft.

In most cases, the majority of the "Remove Before Flight" flags were removed by the crew chief during his inspection of the aircraft. If there were munitions on the aircraft, the tags remained on the munitions until the aircraft arrived at the final inspection area which was near the departure end of the active. At that time, munitions troops would inspect the munitions and remove the flag. Maintenance would also have one crew chief, or assistant crew chief, at the armament area. He/she would do one final quick check of the aircraft and the pilot was signaled he was good to go. Engine covers went on as soon as full shut down occurred and removed during the preflight by the crew chief.

At one time, I had a nice collection of the "Remove Before Flight" flags with appropriate cover, which I had picked up laying around the flightline, or blowing across the tarmac on windy days. During one barracks inspection, the First Sergeant decided to rifle through the drawers in my locker and found them and confiscated them. He then demanded I tell him where I got them. When I told him, he laughed and said he would return them to Supply. When I retired in 1992, I had more of them, and would give them away to people who were interested in aviation. I would tell them what aircraft it was for, and what part it covered. One day I went to give one to a gal I met, and realized the last time I gave one away, I had given away my last one. Oh well...did the same thing with all my Contra Crosses I got from the spooks in Honduras.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

We removed most of the pins before the pilot got to the aircraft, the Aircrew pulled the pins on the ejection seats themselves. The safety pins for the tip tanks, pylons, and weapons were removed at the end of the taxiway during the last chance check.
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

A lot depends on the aircraft. Some pins can be pulled during preflight--others after engine start. Ordinance pins are pulled just before going to the cats, or, when land based, after final check, after the plane has taxiied off the flight line. Intake covers are removed during the daily inspection, then replaced until first preflight of the day. They are normallly not replaced until the end of flight quarters. Exceptions are if the aircraft is pulled from the flight schedule. Land based pretty much follow the same form. There are always exceptions. In order to be accurate, you have to know what aircraft requirements are for the particular situation you're modeling. The NATOPS or Pilots Handbook is the place to find that information. There are also differences between services. When I was in Phantoms, back in the '60's, we didn't normally use the landing gear downlocks, as they were big, heavy sleeves that went around the actuator's piston rod. and were too cumbersome for flight deck ops....figure the plane captain' already got a dozen tie down chains, winglocks, and a mess of other safety pins in his bag that he's go to lug up the deck to the line shack after launch against a 30 kt or so wind. Then he gets to haul it back an hour and a half later, when his jet returns. The USAF, on the other hand, used them. There were also operational differences between AirPac and AirLant--so you've got to know those things as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with 24 years in the Navy--most of it on the flight deck or flight line--is that there's no pat answer to your question.