Need some advice

hillslider

Hello all,

This will be my first question of many. I am looking for a really good place to buy HO scale trains online. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hillslider

N

nachoman

Welcome :)

I think you are just as likely to hear responses as to where not to buy from as to where to buy from.

While I have not shopped too many vendors - here is what i learned:
1) Don't shop ebay exclusively. It usually isn't the best price, shipping is often more than ordering elsewhere, and sometimes you don't get what you think you are getting
2) While their prices aren't the lowest, i have had good luck ordering through Walthers directly. They are usually on top of their inventory, and ship pretty fast.
3) If you are curious about a partcular online store, post here or on other message boards for comments. Title the posting "has anyone ever bought from xyz?" Soon, you will have responses both yea or nay.

Most online dealers will be good. A few will be bad. Of the good ones, it is hard to say who is better - so shop by price or availability of items.

Kevin

Nomad

I agree with Kevin.
I will say I have had good luck with Walthers and Wholesale Trains.

Loren

steamhead

Hi...If you want a "for sure" transaction, go with Walthers. Like it's been noted, prices may be a bit higher, but you're sure of getting what you order promptly - no hassles.
Whatever dealer you choose...DO NOT even think about doing "business" with internettrains.....There are several threads here about our experience with ITT....
Good luck..!!

hillslider

Hey thanks for the reply's. I have checked out Walthers and Wholesale trains. They both look great. Anyone ever heard of internethobbies.com? I came accross them when searching out sites.

Thanks again,

Hillslider

Krawler

Welcome to the board.

I have dealt with 1stplacehobbies.com and would recommend them. They actually answer their phone and will take orders over the phone and ship that day or the next depending on time of order.

Krawler

hillslider

I just checked out Micro Mark....very cool. Ifyou guys want the very best Micro tools check out Facom Micro-tech stuff. I bought a set that has all the small screwdrivers and it also had a needle nose, side cutter and a pair of pliers. I love them. The screwdivers are just perfect.

csiguy

welcome to the board. i have got some decent buys on ebay as well but found wholsale model trains and train world were some of the best places i have bought things from. what i learned and keep in mind im new to the hobby is like others have said is shop around and dont use ebay exclusively.