Need Some advice.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jflessne, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. jflessne

    jflessne Member

    I have a unindentified brand of IC coil car that came to me in bad shape. I'm currently putting metal wheel sets and new Kadee couplers on it. I recieved the coil car with one truck detached and missing the pin that attaches it to the bottom of the frieght car. What are these pins called? Or should I replace it with a screw?

    Also does anyone know who made this model?

  2. wickman

    wickman Member

    I'm sure just the small screw into a tapped hole will work for the wheel sets to the body. I have no idea what kinda car it is .:wave:
  3. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    First that looks like a old AHM coil car..This car was also release by IHC and maybe ITT.
    I would just use the pins since this car is no longer available.
  4. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    You can replace it with a screw, if it is the right size hole. If not, you can plug it with styrene rod and drill and tap for a screw. If you don't have any styrene rod, you can melt and stretch a piece of plastic sprue to make your own... :)

    Alternately, if you have any spare part from Accurail kits, you may find an extra pin in there. Don't know if it'll fit...

  5. jflessne

    jflessne Member

    Ya know AHM was the first thing I thught of....the truck mounted couplers are similar to my passenger kits I'm upgrading.

  6. jflessne

    jflessne Member

    I'll try to find a pin or a screw. I haven't gotten into scratch building items yet. As you can see from my signature I'm terrible with glue etc. :)
  7. well you save the railroad police the trouble. you better behavesign1

Share This Page