Need some advice on track plan?

Hello fellow gaugers, i need some advice. My benchwork is 20' x 16' around the wall with 2' wide shelfs. It has a 5.5' peninsula on each end for turn arounds. All sides are accessable and the center is all open. I am modeling the old Indiana & Ohio railroad as my proto type and im getting ideas from this (http://www.trainweb.org/cior/) My question is this: is there any advantages or disadvantages to running my track work in the middle of the benchwork as opposed to running it along the inner and outer edges of the benchwork? The reason i ask is on the above posted link, the majority of his track work is run in the center of the benchwork and i like the concept of it. I really need to know the advantages and disadvantages of each way. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!:wave:
steve

Russ Bellinis

The advantage of running track in the center is that derailed trains stay on the benchwork. The disadvantag of running near the sides of the benchwork is that derailed trains may fall off the benchwork, to the floor with disasterous results. That said, you can put in scenery elements or plexiglass on the edge to keep the trains on the layout. The main thing is what industries do you want to model and what is the footprint of the buildings you are going to use? Real railroads put the tracks where they will be a benefit to both the railroad and the industry they are serving. Our models should be built the same way. Also trains look good going through "S" curves, through trees, around mountains, and generalkly through various scenery elements, run down the middle of the bench would restrict the track work to mostly straight tracks connected by curves at each room corner. I think that would be boring to look at after a while.

Your track would look better if you varied the distance from the edge. Use some slightly angled runs combined with gradual s-curves for the best effect. This is what I do and I have some industries on either side. Those on the aisle side are generally low profile to aid in reaching over them. I like the concept of trains running through the layout as Russ stated in his reply. I use plexi-glass fences anywhere the trackwork is within 4" of the layout edge on my upper level. On the lower level the masonite valance rises about 1 1/2" higher than the layout. Is valance the correct term for this???

Thanks everyone for your input. I think i will take your alls advice and vary the track from the edges and create some nice broad flowing curves. Thanks again!:wave:

pgandw

Just another consideration to think about. If you enjoy switching, and use skewers and walkaround control, it's often easier and more fun to have the spurs up front. Spurs and structures in front of the main line also serves as view blocks, and can make your main line runs seem longer and different. If you do locate switching spurs or yards in the back, some thoughts:

- track needs to be low enough to see over/past obstructions and other trains.
- other trains passing in front on a main will dstract you
- you may need remote turnout control and uncoupling if you can't reach in conveniently due to scenery and structures (you may prefer this anyway to avoid seeing the 0-5-0 intruding in your modeled scene)

my thoughts, your choices

behind buildings

There's a nice section of Weyerhauser's line running through town (Longview, WA) that runs behind businesses and homes while running parallel to a highway. Put differently, you can follow the tracks but only see the train when it pops into view at grade crossings and between buildings, or if you drive around behind the buildings and sit in their parking lots. There have been times where I've been in a drive-thru lane for food and a train has passed by.

Point is, this would make a neat scene for someone who loves structure and urban modeling with an emphasis on creative scenes and details. The trains are almost secondary. Build the sidewalk and maybe a lane or two of the road along the edge of the layout, then a section of buildings; stores, restaurants, etc. in city blocks with a couple/few side streets perpendicular to the layout edge. The track (probably best laid first...) runs behind the buildings with a hillside or other foreshortened scene behind it, like a fence or hedge with just the roofs of houses showing. Would be a great setup at eye level on a shelf, especially if any crossing gates were animated with lights and sound so that as the train moved along each set of gates would go off in sequence.

Anyway...thanks for listening to my ramblings...hope this gives you some ideas related to your question.

Galen