Need some advice on chassis replacement....

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
I have been collecting old Ibertren N Scale Alco Locos because
they are the only ones that have made Australian Loco's in N Scale.
Unfotunately, only one of them runs. The second one has no motor in it and the third one is missing the brushes in the motor.
Ibertren closed down quite a few years ago and parts are
virtually non existant.
Im hoping that I can put the bodys onto another chassis from another brand? Ive heard that a Lifelike SD7 would do the job but Im really not sure on that after having a look at one...

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Troy.

Attachments

• 123_2337.jpg
    123_2337.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 114

Anachron

Dec 8, 2003
Sweden
I also own one of those engines :)
in fact I own touns of ibertren stuff ;)

but that engine smells burnt when I run it and I dont know what the porblem is..
you know what the problem could be?

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I have no experience with these locomotives , but by looking at the photos I am thinking that finding a suitable replacement motor might be the simplest route to get them back into service.
If the L/L SD7 has the same truck spacing you could use it by adding weights to the sides of the chassis to widen it to the dementions of the shell. Then body mount the pilots.

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Originally posted by Anachron
I also own one of those engines :)
in fact I own touns of ibertren stuff ;)

but that engine smells burnt when I run it and I dont know what the porblem is..
you know what the problem could be?

Yes, mine also has a burning smell when its running and the motor gets extremely hot. I have no idea why.... It still runs ok though...

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio
I have no experience with these locomotives , but by looking at the photos I am thinking that finding a suitable replacement motor might be the simplest route to get them back into service.
If the L/L SD7 has the same truck spacing you could use it by adding weights to the sides of the chassis to widen it to the dementions of the shell. Then body mount the pilots.

Thanks for your reply Ray.

I have since spoken with another guy that has tried mounting the same body to an SD7 Chassis without success. Im now searching for a replacement motor, although i dont like my chances. The only ones I have found in Electronic shops are way to big.

Cheers,

Troy.

Anachron

Dec 8, 2003
Sweden
actually Ibertren's engines are the same in every engine I have...
so if you can find another Ibertren engine somewhere
look in european ebay sites for example...