Need Recommendations For Starting An O Gauge Setup

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Mexico, Feb 21, 2006.

1. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Right now all 027 profile track should be a good price. They are all pushing the newer tack so the price has droped on the tin plate stuff.

BTW - the straight sections are the same of 027 dia or 054.

I do have some 054 curves around here and will try to do the same test for you some time this weekend. I just have to find it, seeing that it never made it on the layout.
  2. Mexico

Mexico Member

What I have seen so far K-Line was half what the others were but their sold out now.
    I'll be looking for your test.

3. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

Mexico, have you looked into Gargraves Flextrack, with a template as a bending jig bends go fairly fast. I don't know how their sectional track compares cost wise. If you buy the flex by the box it drops the cost a bit. Also you can customize the radius as needed.
  4. Mexico

Mexico Member

Roger, I was looking at the Flextrack but the cost would be close to two times as much. Yes and I saw that they sold it in a box of 50 for the best price. If I was going to have a table layout that would be the best for looks. I was looking at some of the dealers again today and I found what I think I'll get, the price was right. I'm going to get the O-27 track it's cheaper then the 0 track.
  5. Wimpy

Wimpy New Member

I would use 8" clearance from the center of the track to a wall corner and 4" to 6" on straight track to be on the safe side. Your outside corners shouldn't be a problem because you wont be able to get the track that close to the corner with a 54" Dia unless you want the track sticking out into the room after the curve. That is only my guess. I have never hung a train from the ceiling. Some company does make train beds and shelf hangers for what you are trying to do. I don't have the web page for you. I have seen them for G scale in a couple of businesses. Just my 2 cents.

Take a look here.

Wiscasset & Carrabassett Ry.
    The biggest, littlest railroad, down east
  6. Mexico

Mexico Member

Thanks Wimpy for your help still looking for a place to buy the track. :)
  7. Wimpy

Wimpy New Member

Hi again, I would take a look at either of these sites for buying track.

The second one has the cheapest 0-27 remote turnouts I have found on the internet. Not sure that you will need any turnouts.

The first link offers the cheapest 0-27 Thomas the Tank Engine set I have found on the internet other than E-Bay. Even on E-Bay I have seen this set go for more.

Wiscasset & Carrabassett Ry.
    The biggest, littlest railroad, down east
  8. Mexico

Mexico Member

Hi Wimpy,

I found the track I wanted and it is all on order now. I went with the 0-27 54'' curve track and bought the 0-27 36'' length. I will be putting it on a shelf 8 feet up and it will go around a room 40 feet by 19 feet. Should be fun doing it, I would have liked the G scale but just cost to much for what I wanted to do.

Thanks for your help
  9. Mexico

Mexico Member

Well, today I sent away for an engine and coal car for my track. I thought a larger engine would look best so I'm getting the MTH 2-8-8-2 USRA steam engine W/Protosound 2.0 - UNION PACIFIC. When I was a kid my Grand Parents lived right off from a Union Pacific Line and it was fun seeing steam engines going by.
    Hope I'll like the one I bought, I've only seen it by a picture.