Need recommendations for new ink jet printer

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Dec 11, 2006.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I'm tired of buying new ink cartridges for my Lexmark X73. It churns out a few decent copies the day I install the new cartridge. After that it's all downhill. To make matters worse, the few good copies I do get probably cost me about U$1 apiece, because I get so few from a cartridge!! :cry:

I want to get a printer under $200 that will make maybe 100 (?) copies per month. Speed is not a factor, but reliability and color quality are.

I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

2. Texman

Texman Guest

When my Z55 finally gave it up, I went with the HP Photosmart 8250. Excellent for cardmodels and pictures!

Here is the thread where it was discussed.

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I got an Epson CX3810 for $69.96 at The generic cartridges are $7 dollars a piece (4 of them). It blows away my Lexmark X83. It also is a scanner. There is even a refillable cartridge kit for it (continuous ink system)tha has refillable cartridges and a CD-rom that resets the printer/cartridge interface. Here's the link:
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

I have nothing but good things to say about all of the Epson's I have owned, currently a C84, only replaced because I have been fortunate enough to get good deals on them, and passed my old ones to my mother, and my brother.
    My brother's is still going, my mother replaced hers with a MFD (scanner printer), her (my) old one given to a friend
  5. Dziuggy

Dziuggy New Member

here is my take. i have tried lots of different printers and now use canon.

lexmark - useless - bad quality expensive ink +++++ slow

hp some have decent quality but their software is the worst. drivers take lots of space and are buggy. also have had paper handling problems in past as well. slow on higher resolutions as lexmark hp also puts printheads onto cartriges as well so very expensive ink too.

epson - some epsons has great quality, huge plus is that some inkjets has ability to do dye sub. main drawbacks are that epsons are know to clog print heads and replacements are very expensive. also slower than canon.

canon - depends on the series cheap canon are not that great and use 2 cartriges only. nice ones are avesomw. i personaly own 6 color photo printer it does letter size lab quality photo in less than 40 seconds - has individualtanks for each color. i buy ink online for ~$3 each. i simply love it.

now one more thing to consider is how big do you want to print if you want to do bigger than letter/a4 you i suggest following:

canon i9900/pixima pro 9000 or epson 1280
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use an epson photo r220 and It has been great for over a year now. I just replaced teh ink cartridges for the first time a week ago. I do have two printers though an old hp deskjet 812 that I use for printing instructions and stuff (and the kids use it) and the epson I pretty much use just for printing models and large pictures. I use an epson picturemate personal photo lab for printing pics of the kids. I have left both printers off for a couple months sometimes and never had clogging issues. maybe I am lucky <goes and finds wood to knock on>
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I have a epson r200 that uses 6 cartridges. I did buy it for printing photos(that's why I bought one with 5 colours and 1 black cart's). But I found that I can buy a full set off cart's for about £7 off ebay and they last longer than epson's. The only problem I have had was it will not print on 220gsm card, it's is just to much for the sheet loader. It also prints on cd/dvd disc's(although I have not tried this yet).

My sister had a lexmark(bought for £30.00). we went to replace the cart's and it was going to cost about £25.00, for colour and black. So she went and bought a epson with a memory card reader built in for £45.00 and her cart's only cost £6 for a full set of 4.

I have always had epson printers and I would not buy any other make.
    I am not saying don't buy another make, I just like epson.

Sorry about '£' not sure what conversion is to '$'
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

its about double so 14 bucks american :) I use the cd/dvd printing occasionally and it works great on the 220 :) thats a great tip for ebay - what brand are they or are thet refills? I am always wary of refills...
  9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Just looked on my ebay. I do not think they are branded. But I have bought a few sets over the last year and had no problems. £6.99 pluss free postage = good deal.
    I know epson do not recommend using other companys cart's, but as I said I have had no problems with them. They last longer than epsons and the colour is no different on photos that are over 1 year old.
    Item number is 200065263452 but I don't think they post overseas.

There is also a company on ebay that sells a continous feed system that fits onto the side of my epson r200. I think they sell it for other brands of printer as well.
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Found the item number for the continuous ink system 180069236624

There are other people selling the same type of system, so they must work. I may try this next time I get low on ink.
  11. BARX2

BARX2 Member

By the way, I also got an Epson CX3810 at It came with the water resistant pigment ink, however, it's not terribly water resistant. Although I spray my printouts with clear coat, I can still rub off the color with my finger if I use a bit of spit to remove a dab of glue. When I do the same thing with my laser printouts they are totally waterproof. But even so, I like the look of my color card stock prints with the CX3810 and I consider it a great bargain, because it only cost $49 after the $30 rebate! :twisted:
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

I've been using an HP 932C for longer than I can remember--It's fairly economical on ink--dependable, handles 110 lb stock without complaint, and is sized appropriately for my desk. I tried refilling the cartridges, but it was false economy--the results weren't that good and the cartridges sometimes failed. I doubt that they're still available, as it seems like the market is flooded with those all in one printer-scanner-fax behemoths, or photo printers using four or more different colors--which mean more ink--but less of each color, and consequently shorter life....especially if you print a lot more of one color, say blue for example.
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

46rob-that is one of the reasons i bought my epson r200. each colour has its own cartridge, so if one colour runs out you replace that colour cartridge and not the full block. i have never tried filling cartridges myself, i guess it would be messy. to replace my cartridges is cheap, so why bother refilling them myself.
    also single colour cartridges usually have more ink in them. so last longer.
  14. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

I have a Epson C86 that I got free with rebate when I bought a digital camera about 2 years ago. It prints very nice. The only problem I have had was when I bought some off brand cartridges online from 123inkjet. They were a piece of *&(_^(*&. I put in a black cartridge, and got the worst print I have ever seen. Tried doing head cleaning, used up about 1/4 of my color ink as well, and never got it looking good. Went to the store and bought a new Epson cartridge. After a head cleaning to get rid of the junk from 123inkjet, haven't had any more problems. I still have the second black and a set of color cartridges from 123inkjet, but need to get rid of them. don't trust going through the same thing again. The Epson cartridges are more expensive, but do not give any problems. If you try non name brand, beware, you could be setting yourself up for headaches.
  15. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

I personally got tired of the ink purchases and issues with it not always working how I needed it. So I still have my

cannon multipass c5500
    Hp psc 2355xi all in one

but also have a laser
    HP Laserjet 1100 Black only

But broke down and got a Color laser
    Konica Minolta magicolor 2400w

I user the inkjets for photo print on the hp and for printing out my daughters coloring pages. But use the laserjet for other coloring pages documents and misc stuff. Then use the color laser for modeling. The canno I just refill with refill kit. Still have a couple of good print head for it so no issues there. The hp all in one, purchase photo refills for. the laser jet Bought it new purchased one replacmetn tone head and just alternate between the two as I need to refill them. The color laser I just got about month and a half ago and printed like crazy not even near half used. Yes the refills are about 80 buck per and you need 4. But just bought the first one now will be buying the other three over the next month or two and then refill them as needed. So far I'm all for the color laser. The gloss paper issue my wife helped me solve with that though. I now have laminated the sheets and given to one of my beta builders glossy as can be. Folding is a little different. but glueing is the same.
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

sorry to hear that you had problems with no branded ink carts-texastubaman. i have bought my carts from the same person on ebay for about a year and never had any problems with them. remember on ebay always check the feedback before buying. i have seen a couple of sellers that sell cart's on ebay that do not have very good feedback.
  17. xyberz

xyberz Member

My suggestion is a continuous ink reservoir system. Seeing that a lot of paper models our there are very colorful, you can go through ink like there's no tomorrow.

Personally I've had Epson and HP printers. I prefer the Epson as they do very good quality color prints.
  18. rowiac

rowiac Member

How did you laminate the sheets?