Need Opinion on Bachmann 2-10-0

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by MilesWestern, Feb 11, 2007.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I would like a no holds-barred review of this locomotive. I would like to know how well it performs, how much it can pull, and whether it runs well al low speeds, and such. Thank you in advance.
  2. MilesWestern

Hello?! certianly at least ONE of the 5,000+ registered members owns at least one of these! Come on! :rolleyes: sign1
  3. jesso

jesso Member

I've noticed the boards are a little slower than usual lately. Have a feeling that a lot of guys are running around buying Valentine's Day gifts so that their wives will continue to let them have their hobbies.

Sorry I don't have that engine.
  4. MilesWestern

I would have to agree to that! :thumb:
  5. MilesWestern

Please? Anyone. Wayne, do you own one of these?
  6. J. Steffen

J. Steffen Member

Is this the decapod that you already bought?
  7. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I've run a couple of them, I think they're really sweet runners. The detail is terrific, and they look good - you don't often see such a small 10-coupled loco.

There were some problems with the first run of them, the main gears would strip or skip, I can't quite recall, but the current ones seem to be fine.
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Can't offer a direct opinion of the 2-10-0, but I do have the 4-6-0 and just picked up the 2-8-0. The ten-wheeler is the better runner, but it has been broken in, and I have also tinkered with the decoder settings to get it running smoothly. It still has a little hesitation to getting going, but I am convinced it is a decoder setting, not a mechanical fault.

The 2-8-0 is a bit of a rough runner, but it has only run up and down for about 15 minutes. It pulls well, although its slow speed leaves a bit to be desired.

For both engines - the detail is great. The decoder install was easy (non-sound). The engines both pull suitable trains - I can move a dozen or more cars with each on flat level track. The 4-6-0 is really limited to about 6 or eight for reliable operating. I have not yet tried the 2-8-0 in a club setting.

One funny thing - Bachmann uses a two part plug to join the tender and loco (why I am not sure). But on the 4-6-0, the tender plugs into the loco, while on the 2-8-0 it is the other way around, so the tenders cannot be swapped (if desired).

Lastly, I wish that they made the boxes differently. They come packaged really nicely, but the tender is below the loco in the box. It would be nice to have a box that would allow you to transport or store the loco with the tender connected. Eventually, the plugs will break, or wires will come loose.

Hope that helps.

9. iis612

iis612 Member

I have the 2-8-0, and if the 2-10-0 is anything like it, you should be happy. My consolidation is a nice runner. It does not handle lower speeds as well as I would like it to, but I have read a few tips and tricks that will help smooth it out.
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Please share...! :)

11. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Bachmann's tip is to send it back and they'll send you a new one. :rolleyes: I have six of the 2-8-0's and all ran smoothly, even at low speeds, right out of the box.

12. MilesWestern

Ok, everybody, thanks! I ordered the locomotive (with sound) from Trainworld last sunday, and am waiting for it in the mail.. I know I'll do two things when I recieve it:

-Change foam in the box so I can have both connected, Or just create a custom fitting.
    -Have alot of fun with it! :)
  13. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

I have 2 bachmann decapods. They run just fine. I am surprised because in the past Bachmann engines (steam) didn't run well. I had a shorting problum in the locomotive half. The wieght was shorting to the brass pickups. A pice of scotch tape fixed it.
  14. jr switch

jr switch Member

Miles, I have two of the Decopods, a ten wheeler, and 2-8-0. All Spectrums. I'm thrilled with all of them. Detail on the ten wheeler is great and it runs real well. The 2-8-0 I had to have after looking at too many of DoctorWayne's photos, and it runs perfectly and is a real strong puller right out of the box. As I'm sure you know by now, the Decopods are belt driven, so no gears to worry about that I know of.
    I love the look of the Decopods, and just recently ordered and received my second one. The first was the painted, unlettered, the second the Atlantic coast line. Got the second one from MicroMark for $67.00 new. They are very smooth runners, run well at slow speeds, but not heavy enough to pull more than maybe 10 to 15 cars. I have a video of #90 at Strasburg in Pennsylvania and the Decopods are really something. Super tall and a look none of the other steamers have. Very unique.
    I have had to send the first one back to Bachmann due to just stopped running altogether. I'm sure it will be a wiring disconnect or something simple. It ran perfectly for the first three months. The Atlantic coast line is awesome to watch. Darkened side rods, drivers with narrow white rims, engineer figure and good detail. Very classy looking engine. I would reccomend them totally-------John R
  15. jr switch

jr switch Member

Miles, let us know what you think of the Decopods after you have run one a little.
  16. MilesWestern

Yes, jr. switch, I certianly will! :thumb:

As for it mysteriously "dying" after a few months...I've heard about this one numerous times on other Forums, espically on MRR's Forum... I wonder why. :confused: Oh well! Thanks goodness they have a warrantee, and that their return policy is so excellent! :)
  17. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

Interesting read here gents ,just now ordered the Santa Fe version 2-10-0 with DCC &Sound from Micromark $147+shipping.
    Though i've yet to read it it found theres also a review of this engine sans sound i'm sure in the April issue of MR.
    Binteresting to see what they have to say.
  18. jr switch

jr switch Member

2-6-8-0, I also would be very interested in seeing, or hearing what they say, in that review on the 2-10-0. If you can find that issue and report on it, I would really appreciate it. Possibly someone who has collected the issues of MR can give us a rundown---Thanks---John
  19. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

I'll try and get over to the club today ,we should have that issue ,if so will report back on my finding's
  20. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

Great review on the latest version MilesWestern,thanks:thumb: