need of light...

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Hi All,
I was working on the layout last evening when I noticed that in once section the scenery was rather dark. I dug out the shop light that is fluorescent and pointed it over to the dark section. Wow, what a difference that made. The light fixture above my head is also fluorescent. 2x48" I may add!
What would I do to brighten up this problem without a heavy $$ cost?
Best Rgd's,
NCMRailroad

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
My layout is 30” x 96”.I plan to use scenic-painted profile boards to resemble a diorama.
When I’m done, the layout will be viewable from all four sides so I’m going to build a cage of ½ inch copper tubing to hang dimmer controlled halogen floods over the layout. The lighting will be hidden by the opaque valence which will hang at just below eye level.
The ‘cage’ will also serve as a frame to support a dust cover of very light poly.
I’m checking out thrift stores and garage sales for halogen desk lamps, lamp cord and hardware.
My estimated cost: $37.00
It’s really important that unless you’re happy with ambient room lighting, plan early on for layout lighting.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Chaparral said:
My layout is 30” x 96”.I plan to use scenic-painted profile boards to resemble a diorama.
When I’m done, the layout will be viewable from all four sides so I’m going to build a cage of ½ inch copper tubing to hang dimmer controlled halogen floods over the layout. The lighting will be hidden by the opaque valence which will hang at just below eye level.
The ‘cage’ will also serve as a frame to support a dust cover of very light poly.
I’m checking out thrift stores and garage sales for halogen desk lamps, lamp cord and hardware.
My estimated cost: $37.00
It’s really important that unless you’re happy with ambient room lighting, plan early on for layout lighting.
I thank you for your reply. Lighting is an essense and like designing one's layout, it too should, as I found out the "hard way" not be over looked.
One of my ideas for lighting designed specifically for the layout was to have a frame built off the wall(s) above and parallel to the layout which would hide flush mounted puck lights. Much like those used over counter in the kitchen. Another idea is to have track lighting installed instead of the fluorescent fixture. This way it gives directional lighting.
Decisions decisions... oh well.. good luck with your plan.
Best regd's,
NCMRailroad:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Fluorescent lights are cheap. I built shelving over two sections of my layout and hung shop lights (the kind with decorative covers) under the shelves. The fixtures and bulbs came to under $20 each. I like the looks that fluorescent lights give, but I may have to go with some track lighting on the third leg of my layout since I can't hang anything above it and the ceiling is 9' tall.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
ezdays said:
Fluorescent lights are cheap. I built shelving over two sections of my layout and hung shop lights (the kind with decorative covers) under the shelves. The fixtures and bulbs came to under $20 each. I like the looks that fluorescent lights give, but I may have to go with some track lighting on the third leg of my layout since I can't hang anything above it and the ceiling is 9' tall.
That idea about the shelving sounds good. Just wondering how far out did you have to hang your shelves before you could get your shop lights to hang properly? I assume you had to put support the shelves with 45 degree brackets?
best regd's,

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
NCMRailroad said:
That idea about the shelving sounds good. Just wondering how far out did you have to hang your shelves before you could get your shop lights to hang properly? I assume you had to put support the shelves with 45 degree brackets?
best regd's,
Yeah, I just used two shelf brackets from Home Depot at about $1.50 each and used some pre-finished 12" wide particle board. Here's a picture. The shelves are about 30" above the layout and I've got them wired to a wall switch. The shelf under the one on the left is only temporary since it blocks some of the light. I'll remove it when I finish doing the trackwork and ballasting on the section below it.

Attachments

• Lighting.jpg
    Lighting.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 118

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
ezdays said:
Yeah, I just used two shelf brackets from Home Depot at about $1.50 each and used some pre-finished 12" wide particle board. Here's a picture. The shelves are about 30" above the layout and I've got them wired to a wall switch. The shelf under the one on the left is only temporary since it blocks some of the light. I'll remove it when I finish doing the trackwork and ballasting on the section below it.
Thanks for the photo... The lighting looks good as well the layout.
Thanks again for your generous help! :thumb:
NCMRailroad

N

nachoman

umm...don, you have that sedona church on your layout! interesting!

kevin

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Don't forget that you can change the lighting via the use of differant types of light bulbs (fluorescents). You can get daylight,ccollights and others. This will change the lighting quite a bit.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
I was looking in Home Hardware and came across a selection of different types of fluorescent bulbs... The lumins as they are respectively refered to as far as brightness is concerned, comes in day light, kitchen, bathroom, etc... I don't know why I never thought about this in the first place. I used to be involved with the reef tank aspect of aquariums for years. Oh well, think tomorrow I will pick up a couple of the "daylight'' type bulbs for the fixture above. Probably alot better than the walmart bargain basement tubes I have in there now! lol!!
Thanks for everyones reply to this thread!
NCMR ;)

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
Well, I finally got a pair of "DAYLIGHT 6400K fluorescent bulbs to replace the plain ones above my head. WOW! what a big difference it makes! ...Not bad for a measly $5.00!