Need More Interest In Architectural Models

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Bionic Modeler, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Although I'm responding to the first post I have read the entire thread and I would have to say it has to do with availability and size. I've always been interested in architecture and even thought of it as a vocation at one point. I've built a couple of these models now and I'm working on a third, as you know. I would love to see some famous buildings from Americana. I'd especially like to see a series of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. I've looked in the Google Sketch-up Warehouse and even found a copy of Union Station St. Louis, which in a way looks like a German Castle, however, the space required to build something of that scale is prohibative. Building in a scale where you can see and identify the scale would be like building a 1/100 scale Aircraft Carrier. You'd need a rather large space to display it and there would have to be quite a few formers. There was a time when I would have liked to build a cityscape like those you see on Letterman, or Leno, but that would be daunting indeed. Having said all that, I would like to see more done.
  2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

The german card forums have a lot more building threads going on. Everything from a nuclear power station through to a local school that built models of their village.

I have found though all card models take up space - I suppose it depends on scale.

Having a six year old and five cats does tend to keep the numbers of models down :cry:
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Care to share any links? I'm guessing the cats and the kid makes for some interesting storys.:mrgreen:
  4. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Not a card model, but a sweet treat for architectural modelling buffs, and not one of my jokes, this time:

Crystal Palace

5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Very nice. The archtecture reminds me of the lattice work at Union Station St. louis. :thumb:
  6. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thank you Tim. going there now.:thumb:
  8. papertrain

papertrain Member

someplace in the files i have a bunch of 120th scale buildings that take have a foot print the size of an index card........
  9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

A thought - with a car, tank, or a plane, you can pick it up and "fly" it or drive it around. With a building - well, you can look at it and rotate it, but it's harder to "bring it to life" by itself.

10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Great to hear from you. Hope all is well. You've been missed. Welcome back!
  11. I suppose with age you become more appreciative of those things which are stable and grounded. I truly am amazed by the beauty of the architecture in Prague or France and Europe in general from the early years. Some of the models available are beautiful. My son (35) wants to buy the Prague Castle from Beteva for me to build for him. He visited there a few years ago and was really taken with the whole place. I have a few smaller chateauxs which really take no more room thatn a 1/72 bomber and which look quite nice in my display case.
  12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, I don't have a problem with buildings - I do actually have a few myself, but I just think that vehicles have an inherent grab that buildings don't have - as evidenced by what most modelers buy. My father worked for an architectural firm about 10 years ago, and I used to have a lot of fun watching the guys (I got to help occasionally) building them out of all sorts of materials - including card. The buildings were neat, fun to build, etc... But, I rarely wanted to bring one home as badly as I wanted a model airplane. Now, I'd say dioramas are a whole different story.

13. mike.stamper

mike.stamper New Member

Architectural Models

This reply is a littel late -- I find very little time to read through the various fora. But today is just too hot to be sitting in my workroom, which is in my loft.

I've read through this thread and have a few comments.

Recently I was asked for a list of the buildings I have made. I store my buildings in boxes and have a reasonable list of the models. The total of made up buildings is 150 (now you know why I never have time!) They range in size from Micromodels through to the Betexa Prague Castle. The boxes take up an area of about 6 feet by 6 feet and 8 feet deep! The good thing is that are quite light. They also make great insulation ;-)

Quite a few notes in the tread mention storage as a problem. One answer is to reduce the scale. I use my office printer and don't know if home printers have the same settings, but for the downloaded files, such as the Haunted Dimensions - Dizney and Cannon I set the printer to either 4 or 2 PDFs per one A4 Sheet. I must admit that the Haunted Dimensions buildings and some of the Dizney models look better in a smaller scale.

I wonder if one of the reasons for not making buildings is because they take so long to make and in some cases can become very tedious. I'm sure many of you have seen pictures of the Prague castle - but have you really looked at it ? On one of the buildings there are about 60 chimneys - each one has to be made up and fitted in holes in the roof. For those of you who have "the book" look closely and you will see that the builder of the kit used for the photos gave up with at least one series of dormer windows !

I see that someone posted an article about the Crystal Palace - many years ago a fellow modeller suggested that I should have a "go" at making a model of the Palace. I spent countless hours drawing each window - and eventually had a model to make. I must admit that it was quite a poor design and since then I have thought of various ways of creating a better kit - unfortunately I'm no good with graphics packages and cannot face the idea or redrawing the whole thing :-(
  14. Funny you should mention Prague Castle. I showed the model to my son who visited there last year and he went ga ga over it. He wants to buy it and have me build it. It looks like a daunting task not to mention the "Space" issue. You have an interesting solution however how can you enjoy them if they are all boxed up? Do you rotate them from time to time displaying a few at a time? How bout some pictures of your work especially the Prague.
  15. claudiecat

claudiecat New Member

I imagine that the model would be quite long and wide relative to its height, so maybe it would be feasible to hang it on a wall like a picture. Has anyone had any experience with doing that? What reinforcement would be advisable?
  16. Sorry I might have deleted it by mistake send again.

17. mike.stamper

mike.stamper New Member

I get the pleasure out of making the models. Once it's done the most important thing is the next model.
    A few of us Brits go to a show once a year I have different models each year. this time the main model was Prague castle. there is almost a natural join in the kit so I did not make the final join accross the model. Instead I made two separate bases on about 3ftX 2 feet and the other about 2X2. Like all the others it's now in a box. This time I made a box using a sheet of 8X4 MDF with careful cutting I made a box 3X3 and one foot deep. I left off the top of ST Vita's so both pieces would fit.

As I said yesterday, I haven't had time to take photos - ever since Sauls site stopped accepting reviews, that side of the hobby has stopped. The best place for pictures of my latest models is

here you will find pictures of our displays.

This one has a few of my models - some of the veteran Cardmodeles site people may be surprised to see something other than buildings.

The Disney Station was printed at 50% I printed off four adobe pages to one A4 sheet.

Regarding the display options, I'm not sure about the wall hanging idea ;-) with the base I made, it would be possible, but it would be impossible to clean. Some years ago I saw a model of the States Opera in Prague that had been built inside-out and mounted on a sheet of class, which had been inverted and used as a coffee table all the "workings" were on the outside and the outside of the building could be seen through the glass.

A few words of warning to possible builders. There is no identification of which way to fold the pieces, so carefully check the diagrames - the other problem is that in some places some of the pieces are hidden in the diagrams. Also remember the number of chimnies and dormer windows - they are in the hundreds!

18. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

In my case, when I think architecture, I envision ruins and chaos. From a military standpoint, there are few battle damage buildings. They come in handy when you play Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Dungeons and Dragons and other board games. So I usually make my own and use foam board for the projects.

I second the motion that we need more architecture builds. (Blown up, detroyed, ravaged and run-down.)
  19. lancer525

lancer525 Member

Well, I am going to jump in here, as I was reading an article on historic preservation at work the other day. As many of you may know, I am a museum curator, historian, and I manage an historic house as a museum. I deal with old buildings on a professional basis, so one would think that I would naturally gravitate towards architectural models. Not so.

Not because I don't have an appreciation for architecture, to the contrary. I'm the first person in the almost 50 years since the historic house I run became a museum, that had any background, education, or training in architecture or historic preservation. The main reason I haven't had much interest in architectural modeling is that I just haven't seen many buildings I wanted to model!

There's the standard collection of castles, government buildings, churches, and the like. What I'd like to see are the old ancient buildings, done up the way they would have looked. Buildings like the Parthenon, the Flavian Amphitheatre, the Pharos at Alexandria, the Necropolis of Giza and the Sphinx, Tlachihuatepetl, Petra, The Dome of the Rock, and the like. These are the ones that interest me. The ones I'll never get to see.

I wish I had the time to sit down and generate models of some of these. I wish I had the skill and talent to design a model of the Sphinx, or of Petra, or even the Colossus of Rhodes. All I can say is, if someone designs them, I'd buy them, build them, and be happy.

In fact, my wife suggested a new project once I finish Scott's 1/4 Mercury. We have two cats. An Egyptian Mau, and a Greek Longhair. She suggested building models of the Pyramid of Giza and the Sphinx for the Mau, and the Parthenon for the Longhair as "houses" for them... I think that would be neat. All I'd have to do is build them to fit on top of 24" x 36" x 16" boxes. sign1
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Canon Papercraft

Tim and Steve0,

Yes, Canon Papercraft is a great place to start in architecture modeling - most of the models is are quite small (if you don´t want to up-scale them) and they are also relatively easy and fast builds. I built the leaning tower of Pisa, Italy, a couple of months ago, in just an evening. I also modeled one of the ancient stone statues of Easter Island (Rapa Nui) in a couple of hours.

Bengt :thumb:

PS. The latest Canon architecture model is the majestic 'La Sagrada Familia' cathedral by the modern Spanish architect Antonio Gaudí - a complex model on 29 pages:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.