Need Model Railroad Industry list

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Why do they call it "bunker oil?"

How about modeling the fruit packing industry, certianly better smelling than the sewage treatment plant! :eek: Yeck! :rolleyes:

Think..loaded at the Groves (pear, apple, orange, lemon, persimmon, avocado, peach, cherries...ect.) to the Packing plant, then Icing rack, the reciever. Some building with the title "Cold Storage" somewhere in the name! ;) Whaddya think?

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
MilesWestern said:

How about modeling the fruit packing industry, certianly better smelling than the sewage treatment plant! :eek: Yeck! :rolleyes:

Think..loaded at the Groves (pear, apple, orange, lemon, persimmon, avocado, peach, cherries...ect.) to the Packing plant, then Icing rack, the reciever. Some building with the title "Cold Storage" somewhere in the name! ;) Whaddya think?

Hey, it may not smell nice but at least it would be original. :thumb:

As for the "cold storage" thing, I remember downloading a photograph of an SW-1 owned by a company which had Cold Storage in the name (can't remember exactly, but the initials on the locomotive were MACS, and I'm pretty sure the M stood for mountain), and in my opinion any industry which allows the use of an SW-1 is automatically very cool. (gotta love em!)

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
By the way, I looked it up and the Cold Storage company that owned the SW-1 (actually owned a pair of them in slightly different colorschemes) was Mount Airy Cold Storage.

Grain is a good one, I wish I had thought of that. Definately a favourite among railroaders of all gauges, although I tend to shy away from the "typical". That, and coal, is probably your safest bet. The advantage of both being that they can both go from one industry to another (IE grain silos to flour mill, flour mill to factory - coal mine to steel works, steel works to... etc.)

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
The list of industries at the NMRA Sig-Ops site will be helpful. I'll spend some time this week going over it and see what jumps at me.

I easily have room for about 9 large industries and 6 or 7 smaller industries, so I still need a few more, not counting the two interchange areas at each end of the line. As for now, I am looking at the plastic pellet plant, a plastic molding factory, a furniture maker, packing house/cannery, fuel oil dealer, grain elevator, large machine shop/metal works, freight shipping warehouse, and team tracks. I'll also include service facilities for the diesel locos. Maybe I'll include a fertilizer manufacturer. For some reason, the coal industry just isn't jumping out at me.

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. And I owe yall some pics of what I have accomplished over the last week, mostly just playing around with track layout.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Here's the pics I promised. I took some wood and made mock-ups of the general size and shape of industries I have space for. For now, I am just pinning the track to the foam, will play around with different ideas and layouts until I find something that is satisfying for operations. Then the scenery will start, cutting and trenching foam, glueing on hills, etc etc.

Photo 1: Grain elevator on left, looking towards the plastic pellet plant. The pellet plant has 2 tracks for tank cars and 2 tracks for covered hoppers.

Photo 2: Looking from the removable bridge to the pellet plant. The first "building on the right will be a furniture factory and the white building is a freight warehouse/shipper.

Photo 3: Closer view of the pellet plant

Photo 4: Other side of the room, the first building is the plastic molding and extruding factory, the second building is "I don't know yet" and the third building is a cannery/food products plant. Still have some work to do on the track routing in this area.

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 45
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 46
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 44
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 44

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
MilesWestern said:

that refers to heavy fuel oil more like motor oil than home heating oil. on a side point the shop were i work has a co. that picks up our used motor oil filters it and sells it to ships to use as fuel.

Gary looks like its comming together not cluttered.:)

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Thanks for the encouragement, Jim. I'll be out of town off and on for the next couple of weeks, but after that I should have the track plan to the point where I can post a diagram of it on The Gauge. I am counting on all of you more experienced modelers to correct my mistakes and offer ways to make my design better.

And if anyone has suggestions or improvements to what I have already done, please say so. None of this is cast in stone.... yet.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Canopus, I was thinking that I could have shipments from the grain elevator go to the cannery/food products factory, I suppose this could be like Del Monte and have corn or whatever shipped in and processed. An alternative would be a flour mill as you suggested.

The cattle industry is a no-brainer for the area i am doing, but for some reason I am not all that excited about it, so don't have any plans to do it at the moment. A feed mill would work though.