Need loco ID

ezdays

Out AZ way
I bought a bunch of N scale stuff yesterday at a local thrift shop. Some of it is fairly old, like this loco, some other stuff is a lot newer. Right now I'm having trouble trying to find what this UP loco is and how old it is. It is an Atlas and I'm guessing at least 10, maybe 20 years, but I really don't know. It runs fine, but it is missing a handrail on the other side.

Anybody know what model it is? How old?

Attachments

• up-gp.jpg
    up-gp.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 143
C

Catt

Don,it is an ALCO .I believe it is an RS3 (not positive about the 3 part).I would guess the age to be at least 20.The first of the modern ATLAS units were made by KATO and that definately is not a KATO.

Does it have "made in Yugoslavia" stamped into the bottom of the fueltank?

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Don,
Well so far we have RS3 and RS2, so here goes. Thinking back 35 years or so tells me that Atlas & Rivarossi were joined at the hip sort of, and that unit if I am not sure is one of the original RS1's that were made in Co Co fashion. (Might still be wrong)
The unit was very well made.
Shamus

ezdays

Out AZ way
Hey, thanks everybody. Yes, it does say "Yugoslavia" on the tank. Maybe, just mayby, now I can find out if Atlas has a handrail that will fit. Otherwise, I may try to mold one using to one that is still on it.

Thanks again, as I've said before, I have a tough time telling one loco from another. :rolleyes: Hmm, ALCO RSC2 cool:cool:

That guy was right on about the handrail though.:cry: :cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by ezdays
...That guy was right on about the handrail though.:cry: :cry:

Just a bit hasty there. I found the handrail at the bottom of the box along with other bits and pieces of stuff. Not at all broken, and it snapped right in place.:thumb: :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

This is one I repainted. Although the PC didn't use them. From what I've read not to many railroads did.
I am thinking of turning the other one into an RS2 by replacing the trucks with trucks from a modelpower C420 of the same era.

Attachments

• pcrsc2.jpg
    pcrsc2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 92

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio
This is one I repainted. Although the PC didn't use them. From what I've read not to many railroads did.
Ray,

If I agree with anything that guy said at his site is that the paint job and lettering on the one I got could be a bit more professsional. I think it may become one of the fleet on the Canyon States RR. Heck, we will use anything including manually pushing power to get cars where they are going.:eek: :D :eek: :D I gotta take it apart anyway to clean it and replace the windows, might as well give it a new paint job while I'm at it.

Thanks,

Russ Bellinis

I don't know anything about it's quality or lack thereof as a model, but it is an Alco RSD4/5. The four and the five were identical externally. Basically, it is an Rs3 with either a-1-a or c trucks.

Ray Marinaccio

Russ,
You are right about the RSD4/5 being RS3s with 6 axles.
The RSC2 is a 6 axle RS2.
Just for the heck of it I looked for photos of each to compare them.

[http://www.berail.be/usa/rs1/images/usa8679.jpg] rsd1

[http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/scl/scl1100ags.jpg] rsc2

[http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/scl/scl1114awc.jpg] rsc3

[http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc6800atd.jpg] rsd5

At a first glance they all look the same.
The only difference I see between the RSC3 and the RSD5 is the axle spacing in the trucks.
I see some interesting kitbashing possabilities.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ray and Russ,

Based on the photos in the links Ray provided, it can only be an RSC2. As you guys said, they are similar, but checking detail for detail (lights, fans, number boards) with the pictures, it is indeed an RSC2.

Thanks for all the input. I cannot believe how much information is out there and where you guys find it all.:thumb: :thumb:

absnut

This loco is definitely an Atlas RSC2 from the very early days of N scale. I got into N in 1967 and this came along shortly thereafter. Like most of them in that line, it either ran for 15 minutes or forever... you seem to have one from the latter group! I still have a few Atlas steamers that account for themselves fairly well and a small fleet of the Atlas FMC-liners that still work.

You might enjoy the following page. It is from a site that recounts the history of the ealy Atlas locos.

http://members.aol.com/dgosha/RSC2.html

Dick

ezdays

Out AZ way
Dick,

Like I said, I don't know where you guys come up with these links, but I am greatful that you do. Thanks, that is a lot of detailed information there. I'm assuming this guy has this kind of data on other locos as well. That's dedication.:)

ezdays

Out AZ way
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Dick, I had a thread a few weeks ago about my inability to tell one loco from another. A lot of others were in the same situation. This stuff will help us all.

brakie

Don,That is indeed a RSC2.This unit was made by Atlas in the late60s (66/68) when Atlas first introduce their line of N scale.
It was considered a top quality N scale unit at that time.

Here is the more modern offering by Kato..

Attachments

• 176-4305.jpg
    176-4305.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 25

brakie

Ok,I forgot the RSD4/5 by Atlas if you are interested.

Attachments

• at-rsd-cnj.jpg
    at-rsd-cnj.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 49