Need Input on New Layout

Nscalemodeler

Hi all. I posted a layout a while back, but still hadn't built it. I'm finally getting close and my space has gotten a little smaller...but that's another story. I'm nw working in a space that is 32" x 84" It will be build on a door with a little extra. I'm trying to build a layout that I can both run and switch on, hence the folded dogbone. I did design in a small yard that will accomodate only diesels at this time, plus two spurs, the spur in the upper left is supposed to be under the mainline, but there is a bug in the software and I couldn't get it to go under.

Let me know what you think.:confused: I'm planning for a small town on the right, inside the ring and a mountain on the left, where the lower rail will be hidden in a tunnel.

Attachments

• 32x84.jpg
    32x84.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 352

jetrock

Looks like a pretty sweet design...the only thing I see missing is a passing track for cornfield meets or industrial switching, but you've got a very nice little yard there and a nice long mainline run. If your emphasis is on making/breaking up trains and lots of mainline running, I'd say you've got yourself a winner.

Will_annand

Looks good Jeremy, the only one spot I would question.

The line leading left from the yard appears to go under mainline twice, however the first siding appears to go OVER the mainline? That would have to be a very steep incline, is this the way it is supposed to be?

Nscalemodeler

Will,

There was a bug in the software and I couldn't get that siding to be below the mainline no matter what I did, so I left it. It should be shown below the crossing mainline at the same level as the mainline it spurs from.

Russ Bellinis

If the right side of the layout (in the center of the bigger of the two loops) is to be an industrial area, you could extend the siding going from the left side and split it with another switch making two sidings. That would give you an extra siding to work when doing switching.

sams

jeremy,
just a quick few Q's...
you mentioned a mountain on the left side, with the main in a tunnel...
is the TO coming off the main to a spur track inside the tunnel?
i don't think TO's inside tunnels is something that is prototypically done (if that matters).
but i'm more concerned about access...well, even if you have access (like an access panel), it would still be a hassel everytime a car or loco picked a point or a frog to have to reach in there.

second Q...i noticed a lot of sharp curves...9 3/4"?
its not a big deal, i recommend looking into larger radii, if possible.

another thing...the double crossover...will this be separate TO's and a crossing? or are you gonna get a "single unit"?
just wondering, 'cuz i've heard some people commenting on difficulties with them.

lastly, another minor point.
the spur off the loop in the upper right of the plan.
it seems to be on a slope.
i'd be careful with it since a train coming downhill, off a turn, leading into that TO, might make it easy to pick points.

i feel the only one that is really a cause for concern is the TO in the tunnel.
the others are just minor stuff for you to think about.

just my 2c's worth ;)

Nscalemodeler

Sams,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate the feedback, especially the downhill. I hadn't thought about that. I think I will make a change to the direction of the turnout and plan for the town there.

As for the turnout in coming out of the mountain, you're right. I guess that I will have to make a choice there, either I move it to the right, past the crossing mainline, to get it out of the way of the mountain, or I could cut the mountain back to carve out a valley where the train comes through and have the turnout pushed back into this valley. Hmmm... I'll have to think about that some more.

The double crossing to the yard is 4-#6 turnouts with a crossover between. I, like you, want to ensure trouble-free operations.

Thanks again for the feedback, that is the type of stuff I need to know. It's nice to have more sets of eyes look over the plan before it gets built and I have to start taking it apart to modify it.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

sams

sounds good jeremy,
with the TO on the slope...
if you like it, and it would help operations.
try it out, and see how it is.
i was just pointing out a potential problem area.
i look forward to some progress pics :)