Need Info on Bilt-Rite Cardboard Models.

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by Mark Crowel, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Photos added 3-20-09 and 3-21-09.

In the 1940's and early 1950's, a company called Bilt-Rite made cardboard model kits of buildings and vehicles from thick cardboard (they called it fiberboard. It looks like 1/8th" or 3/16th" thick chipboard).

My internet search for info so far hasn't succeeded. Does anyone know about this company's history, products, and whereabouts of any surviving Bilt-Rite model cars? I've already checked ebay.

2. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Explored the internet again, looking for this company's cardboard toys, but haven't turned up anything yet.wall1 I know they existed, because I've seen their ads in the backs of children's activity magzines circa late '40's-1950.
    They produced quite a few automobile models, plus a service station and some other buildings. Sure could use some help from any "old-timers" out there.:confused:
  3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Dean Milano, a toy collector, who until recently ran his own toy museum, kindly provided me with these photos of Bilt-Rite cars and garages that were once in his collection.

Any others?

Attached Files:

4. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

More photos.

Here are photos from Bob's (Taylor) Hobby Shop in Watervliet, Michigan.
    Bob doesn't want to sell them unless he get's "a good offer" for them.
    Translation: they're out of my price bracket.

Attached Files:

5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

World War Two Jeep Photos.

This could be a Bilt-Rite product, but I'm not sure. I bought it from an antique store in Alamo, Michigan sometime in the late 1990's. I paid $10 for it. It was displayed with other WWII era cardboard toys: a tank, an army truck, and a set of GI's. The jeep was all I could afford at the time.

The jeep has tab and slot construction, and cardboard disc rolling wheels with wooden axles.

Attached Files:

6. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Looks like a Nash.

If you think this model looks like something that was designed, printed, and built circa 1950, that's exactly the effect I'm trying for.

After designing this model (it resembles a 1950 Nash), I photocopied the parts onto red paper, cut out areas that were supposed to be other colors, glued the red parts over the master sheet, and photocopied it in color to get the multi-color printed effect. The parts were glued onto writing tablet cardboard, and the model was glued together.

Attached Files:

7. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I like it! Reminds me of the Little Orphan Annie or early Dick Tracy comic strips for some reason.
  8. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

In the same vein...

This model is based on a 1956 Studebaker President sedan. I used the same design, printing, and construction methods as I used for the Nash look-alike.

Attached Files: