Need info on a train for Christmas

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Kanebaby, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Kanebaby

Kanebaby New Member

I hope someone can help me out. I want to get a train for my kids to go around the Christmas tree. What is the best scale to get? I'm not looking to spend alot of money on it because the kids are young and break everything. I found one at KB Toys that a G scale and it seemed really HUGE, but i saw a HO scale in a hobby shop and that seems really small. I guess i also want to buy scenery and figures for a Christmas village. So what would be the best size for that? The HO figures seem so small, but i think that the G scale train is way too big. Whats the best size train and figures to go under a tree? I know Kohls has lots of figures and villages...most of the figures are around 2" tall....what size train would they go good with? I'm a newbie, so thanks everyone for your help.
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

You might want to look into O-Scale. It's somewhere in size between HO and G. O are the classic 3-rail Lionel trains most people think about when electric toy trains are mentioned.

O scale ain't cheap though.. But they do tend to take abuse a lot better than HO.

Hope this helps.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Lionel starter sets at my local hobby shop are @$250.00. You can probably find a better price online. I think Lionel are probably the best for little ones. They are much sturdier than any other train on the market, especially the lower end starter sets.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

You can also find Christmas themed trains at the chain stores, sometimes. Usually, these are not expandable. If you can't see extra track/cars/accessories you'll be limited to what comes in the box.
    However, I used these around the tree for a few years. I got a set for under $10. They aren't as sturdy as Lionel, but we don't have children around to damage them.
    Another consideration: if someone hits little sister with a piece of Lionel, it's not the Lionel that's going to get damaged.
  5. josh0351

josh0351 New Member

My parents got our family (the grandkids even though I am the "train-nut" in the family:D ) the Holiday Express Animated Train Set several years back with 3 additional cars. It’s worked fine for the 3+ years that we’ve had it.

Looks like the retail on it is about $150.00, but I’m betting that you could probably find a better deal out there if you looked (ebay – here’s one with the bidding at $60.00 with a little over an hour left on the auction, but it looks like it might be a little banged-up: The kids in particular really enjoy this train with all of its sound, lights and animation.
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Trains in real life are huge. A single freight car is almost the size of a house. Even narrow gauge trains (which is what G scale models normally are) are much larger than people.
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm not sure that Christmas village stuff is made to scale specifically. That being said, the best way to judge if the scale you are interested in doing is correct for the Christmas village is to look at the doorways in the Christmas village buildings. A scale doorway should be about 6'8" or so in height. A typical person is 5'5"-5'8" tall. Round up the sizes so that you figure a doorway at 7' and a figure at 6'. If you measure the height of a typical doorway in the Christmas village building, then go to the hobby shop and see how tall a figure looks right in a door that tall. A figure that is 7/8 the height of a doorway is probably close enough to look right, the scale of a figure that height will give you the size train to run. Just remember that Christmas villages tend to be fantasy villages, and the church or a station in a Christmas village may be selectively compressed, or it may actually be built to a smaller scale than a house or cottage. The so called "G" scale is a bunch of different scale sizes. LGB is slightly different than Bachmann large scale, boith of those are narrow gauge. USA Trains builds standard gauge trains that run on the same track as LGB so there scale is something like 3/4 of the scale of LGB. Lionel is O scale, which translate to about 1/4 inch=1 foot, so a 6 foot figure would be about 1 1/2 Inches tall. Ho scale is slightly smaller than 1/2 of O but for the sake of estimating 1/2 of O is close enough or 1/8 inch to the foot. A six foot tall figure would be 3/4 inches tall in ho.