Need info HP 8250

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Texman, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

I am beginning my quest for a new printer. I found an HP 8250, with a six
    cartridge ink system, and would like to hear from anyone who has one. How do you like it? How does it print? Do the print heads clog alot? Having never had an HP printer, what is your overall impression?

Seems ok, but experiences are the information.

Thanks all

2. Ray, this is the big advantage of HP printers...they don't clog because the jet's aren't part of the printer; they're part of the cartridges. I've got an Epson and a Canon printer laying around that won't shoot ink to save their souls but my HPs 'just keep on ticking' as they say. Can't speak to the specifics of the 8250, though.

Cheers --- Larry
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

I agree with Larry.

In my experiencie the HP's are very strong. I've worked in information systems for 20 years no, and I can tell you this always the case.

One big advantage is the printers can't stand for a long time without use. When you use the printer again it's print ok.

This isn't the case with the Epsons but , but ,but

A least here in Argentina the cost of HP Cartriges is 3 times the cost of Epson Cartriges so you can end expending a lot of money in ink.

4. I tried to keep my statement non-committal, simply stating a fact but I guess I did suggest that I favor HP printers.

I think you meant to say that HPs CAN stand a long time without use.

As you point out, HP cartridges are more expensive than others (though the gap seems to have shrunk in the last couple years. This is why I told my friends I'd never buy an HP again. It's why I bought an Epson. Then, after only its second cartridge, the Epson packed it in and there's nothing I can do to coax it into working. Big bargain that Epson printer :-( I'll probably replace my ancient HP printer as its a bunch of years old. When I do, I'll have to eat my words and buy another HP printer.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

HP All-in-one printers

Just last Friday I bought an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one (on sale at $89.95 at Office Depot. Available on line from HO for $99.95). My older HP all-in-one died a horrible death when something made of black plastic broke deep inside the machine! It uses a 2 cartridge system (black and RBG). The advantage here is that you don't waste your color cartridge(s) in printing a text page.

The 3180 doesn't have the setting versatility the old one had, but so far it has worked fine for scanning and copying (8.5x11" sheets) and printing everything I've tried, including pdf's from fiddlers green.

You can't scale down with the printer, but you can change the image size with most photo-software.

I have a space problem and I did a lot of on-line and in-store research, and this one fit ALL my requirements.

(No, I don't work for HP!!!:grin:
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I havent had good luck with HP printers, personally. The ink cartridges are pricey and, more importantly, the printers tend to jam, especially with heavier stock papers.

I use a Lexmark, which gives good resolution, ink isnt so pricey (i refill my own as well, which saves $$$) and, more importantly, it NEVER jams, no matter what I throw at it.

The main reason I prefer Lexmark over HP is that HP uses an up and over paper feed path (the paper wraps around a roller or path before hitting the print heads). This doubles the chances for jams.

Lexmark uses a direct feed paper path (top feed) that goes straight in. In three years, I've never had a jam.

I've tried Canon and Epson, and they stink, IMO. Plus the cartidges are tiny and expensive.

I use a Lexmark X1185 (Printer/Scanner/Copier). Flatbed full size scanner, color or b/w copy. Dual cartridge system (B/W, RYB).

Just my thoughts.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have to second ekuth.
    I have the slightly older Lexmark X1150.
    I have never had a problem out of it.
    Another plus is that once you have the refill kit all you need to buy is more ink.
    It has been an awful long time since I even bought ink.
    The last time I bought ink they were $2 per bottle and each bottle gives about 20 refills.
    Just go to and they have refills and just ink for many types of printers.
    Relatively cheap also and definately worth a look.

8. This is an important parameter to me. When I bought my Epson the first thing I read in the groups discussing Epson printers was not to use non-Epson inks as they would clog the machine. The price swing with this news was, as you can imagine, extraordinary. The Epson inks, however, are wonderful and quite waterproof so that is an advantage.

This was the reason I bought my Epson as well. I wanted to print on tissue, which works ok on my HP but I thought I'd get better results with a direct-path printer. It's intriguing that you get good cardmodel results with your Lexmark as their pricing is...well to say outstanding is an understatement.

Cheers --- Larry
  9. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I have an HP Photosmart printer. I love it. It has slots for SD and CF cards. The newer ones have a display screen on them. Mine has never jammed. I buy cartridges at Office Depot. I get the Office Depot cartridges and trade in the empties. They give you a pack of their recycled paper for an empty cartridge. I have also bought a cheaper brand at the local grocery store (HEB, Texasman). They were about $8 cheaper than the HP brand and are working fine. Good quality.
    My Dad will only buy HP printers and scanners. He's used them for years at home and at work. Swears by them.
    Never saw the one you're talking about. I assume that with 6 cartridges there's one for each color. That sounds pretty good. No waste that way. I hate when all the blue is gone but there's still plenty of red.
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

I hafta weigh in in favor of the Epson. I've got a C66 (just about as base as you can get) that I picked up at Costco for $10 more than a set of cartridges for my last HP.
    First task for it was a set of 45 nearly full page rich colour fruit labels to make a kitchen wallpaper border. After that it went into regular service for models and everything else.
    The biggest plus for me is the individual ink tanks.The HP had me tossing tanks when only one colour was empty (really spotty luck with refilling) and now I can just replace the one I need to. I seem to get more pages out of a set of cartridges, and the DurBrite inks don't spot with water or PVA glue.
    I've heard about Epsons being more clog prone due to idleness, but with 2 teenage daughters, idle time is NOTan issue<G><sigh>
  11. Alcides

Alcides Member

Yes, I understand your post were positive to HP printers.

I'm not a native english speaker, so sometimes I can understand the "idea" in a post but not de details. Sorry if I misunderstand your post.

Yes, I made a mistake when I wrote it. Thank you for correct it.

By the way,I did the numbers again because my old Epson C20UX has broken again and I just bought a new epson CX5900.

The cost for the HP cartriges is too high here.

I'm an entusiast photograper too, so I bought the Epson because the wide gamut and the very high color fidelity. This is not the case with the Lexmark and Canon Printers.

12. we DO have a misunderstanding, Alcides. In truth, you understood my msg better than I did when I wrote it :) I just wanted to clarify that you were right.

Cheers --- Larry