Need historical help

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I just got a CN Hudson (one of 5 they owned numbered 5700 - 5704) and I'd like to know more about the prototype operations. I've read they operated highspeed passenger service in the Montreal - Windsor corridor. Does anyone know what passenger cars were on that line? Their names? How many stops and where?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :) :)

Val

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
I was going to suggest looking up the CNsig , Val , as they would probably be privy to that technical stuff . There is a Yahoo Groups CPRsig ...must be a CNsig around somewhere . I live near Windsor , but didn't pay much attention to the passenger service ( still don't ) ....freight gets my interest .
The '95 Rail Guide shows 5702 at St Constant Quebec and 5703 at St Thomas Ont ......doesn't help you at all .

NEIL

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val:
I thunk just about everything ran in the corridor at one time or another. After 1954, the crack trains would have PS smooth-side cars, series 5400 to 5600, like the one running excursions out of Orangeville.
Before that, the 5200-5300 series of rivet cars -- more like the Athearn standards without clerestories. These lasted well into the 70s. Lots of trains would have a mixture.
Headend cars would be a mix; they tended to last longer with minimal upgrades.
I'll see what books I have. See if you can find Newton Rossiter videos, or A Day at Oakville or Canadian National in the East.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Neil, I belong to the CNLines Sig - they don't have the info I need on the website, but maybe there's a back issue or 2 I could order.

David, I thought you'd have some answers for me! :thumb: Are A Day at Oakville and CN in the East videos too?

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
No, they're books. Day at Oakville is a big hardcover; CN in the East is a series of small 8x11 paperbacks from BRMNA in Calgary. Not sure of availablility, but CV may have the paperbacks. There were a number of them at the Bowmanville show on the weekend.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Val:
I think the book is called Steam at Oakville.
I checked my 3 volumes of CN in the East. There are pictures of both 5700s but any train is obscured. There is a shot of 5704 with a long passenger train. It's all clerestory coaches.
They were also used on the pool trains out of Montreal. This was a forced CN-CP joint venture, where tickets from both roads were accepted and both roads supplied cars.
I think any non-wood CN cars would be appropriate. (No MDC shorties.)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Val: there is another reference that you might find, the CN equipment book. This is a red covered loose leaf binder that was published and maintained by Upper Canada Railway Society (Until late 60s -- I bought mine after the warranty ran out.) This has diagrams and lists of all the different cars, and was updated when cars were modified or scrapped. Let me know what sort of cars you are interested in, and I'll see where my copy is.
Named cars were sleepers, diners, club cars. The names were usually themed, but there were names that could have been in several different series. (I think there was even a Val series.)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That would be great David! I'm interested in the Montreal to Windsor corridor, trains stopping at Union Station. So, probably no sleepers I'm guessing, although if you have that info I'd like it anyway. Time is August 1956.

Thanks so much!!!

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Val, there would be sleepers in that era. The steam trains took a little longer than diesels to make the trips, and they did run through trains from Monteal to Chicago. The overnights from Montreal to Toronto didn't even have to wait for 2 hours in Belleville to lose time.
I found a car listing from 1971 giving names and numbers and brief car descriptions, but no real modelling details; did give the car voltage!
Rapido was a marketing name for the Corridor express trains. I associate it with the black and white era and Expo 67.
The Val series were 22 roomette cars; I think they became Daynighters.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Val:
the booklet has 11 pages (approx 40 cars/page) of car names, and 14 pages showing them by number.
Generally, named cars showed the numbers only internally.
Quick coach survey:
1300s Diner
2300s club lounge with jaunty name (bon vivant, debonnaire, etc.)
3000s cafe coach lounge
4800 GTW
4951-5052 Commuter coaches - no A/C -- Montreal??
5180-5436 Coaches -- Athearn blue box heavyweights, 6 wheel truck -- wonderful large washrooms.
5437-5654 Coaches modern smooth sides, PS streamlined.
There are variations as some had snack bars or other features added; some reassigned to commuter service. Gaps in all number series.
Lake series were club cars.
I'll leave the sleepers for later. There were so many types.