Need help with your Inferno or other 1/8 buggy?

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by mp-6xracer, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mp-6xracer

mp-6xracer New Member

Hi! If anyone needs any help with any version of the Kyosho Inferno or any other 1/8 sclae buggy let me know, i think i can deffinatly help you with any problem you may have because ive experienced almost every problem the average 1/8 off road racer could ever face, so ask if you've got a problem or question about the kyosho inferno or any other 1/8 scale gas buggy.
  2. waynedrayton

waynedrayton New Member

Hi,
    Boy am I pleased to find you!

I have just bought a secound hand Inferno DX and as your probably aware this is on old car.....so its impossible for me to find any information on it. I'm also new to the game which doesn't help, I visited a local model shop on Saturday and the guy there checked it over, after putting in a new glow plug, fuel lines and fuel we managed to get it going, he explained the tunning process using the needles etc so now I am getting there....slowly.

My main problem is the pull start on the engine.....he told me it,s the wrong one, it's only clipped onto the engine no srews so its slightly loose and a result of this is that it won't always turn the engine over?

He tried to sell me a new engine but I'm#@$% sure there is a cheaper solution....I really need to get my hands on any info, paper work about the car and the engine...

So............HELP......it would be great to have some correspondence with some one who knows his stuff.

Cheers

Craig (London)
  3. mp-6xracer

mp-6xracer New Member

Hey! I dont belive he tried to sell you a new engine becasue the pull starter was broken! It sounds like the guy who owned if before you just put a random pull starter on the engine to get it going, and i cant imagine it worked to well if it was mis-sized and held to the engine with pins. All you need is a new pull starter assembly for your engine. I dont know what kind of engine you have so if you could tell me what brand and model of engine it is i can try to find a new pull starter assembly on the internet for it and see who has it available for the cheapest price. If you dont know who made the engine, look on the side of it, it should have a name or some sort of symbol. If it has a symbol and you dont know what it stands for just tell me what the symbol is and i'll see if i can tell you. As far as an instruction book goes, the DX was discontinued about 5 or 6 years ago and i doubt any hobbie store has one. I have an Inferno DX myself (great car) but i bought mine second hand also and i dont have a manual. if you cant find one anywhere you could buy a manual for the MP-5 (the next car after the DX) or the MP-6 (the second car after the DX) Neither of the two will be exact manuals for your car, but they will give you a rough idea how to assemble and take appart you car, and how to tune and adjust it.

Hope this helps!! Get back to me on the engine!!

-Jon
  4. waynedrayton

waynedrayton New Member

Hi Jon,

Thanks for such a quick response, your a star mate!

The engine is the original Kyosho GS-21R, I have managed to find an exploded view on the internet and I have now pin pointed tho problem to part 6520-17-3 which is the recoil starter, I fitted a new one of these only a week ago and looking at the diagram and the part number it is the right part....and it appears that it is just clipped on, as I have done it...but it has worked loose already and I have to hold the recolil starter to the back plate when attempting to start or it pulls away and I fear the spring may coil out.....this would all be a little easier to explain if I could e.mail you the diagram>>>is this possible??

Thanks for your time Jon

Cheers

Craig
  5. Jusa1976

Jusa1976 New Member

Hi! I have Inferno DX 1 off-road. Can I put exemple MP7.5 main chassis to my DX 1? The engine is the original Kyosho GS-21R.
  6. mp-6xracer

mp-6xracer New Member

Hi! The inferno mp-7.5 has a much different chassis layout than the DX. The holes on the chassis will be in different places and many, if not all the parts will not line up on the chassis. Although you could modify the 7.5 chassis by drilling holes in it to fit the DX's parts, i do not recomend it becasue you will change the geometry of the car, making the car's preformense worse than with the original chassis, and by drilling so many holes in the chassis, you will weaken it and it will be more suseptable to damage. You will be much better off leaving your stock chassis on. If you want to replace the chassis, buy the original DX chassis , it will save you alot of time and frustration compared to trying to modifly the 7.5 chassis. If you want the chassis to be a little stronger and look good, you can buy the Turbo Inferno chassis, which is anodized in a good looking blue color, and it should be the exact same layout as the original DX chassis. The Turbo Inferno won very many championships and can still be very competative even today. Although the Turbo Inferno was discontinued a while ago, you may still be able to find the chassis at a place like e-bay. If you can not find it and have no choice but to get a new chassis, get the Inferno MP-5 chassis. The MP-5 still has a different chassis than the DX, but its more compatable with the DX's parts than the MP-7.5 chassis. If you get the MP-5 chassis, buy the screw set for the MP-5 as well becasue the holes are countersunk (so the underside of the chassis is smooth, and screws will not become stripped) and the DX's screws will not work with it.

I hope this helped a little!!
    -Jon
  7. mp-6xracer

mp-6xracer New Member

Hey craig! Im not sure about this, but i think that the recoil starter is connected to the engine by a screw on the right side (if your looking at the engine with the recoil starter in front of you) under the manifold (pipe that connects to your tuned pipe and where the exauhst exits the engine) There may also be one on the other side of the engine in the same place. See if there are any holes for screws there and get back to me on it.
  8. mp-6xracer

mp-6xracer New Member

Actually after reading what you wrote again, is the backplate connected to the engine? If it is and its only the recoil starter coming loose from the backplate, that should be a pretty easy problem to fix. See which one it is and get back to me!
  9. waynedrayton

waynedrayton New Member

Hi Jon,

The back plate is connected to the engine and held in place by two screws....but one has been sheared off so I can't check that it's tight....i will tap into it, remove it and replace. However the back plate appears to be held in ok....the problem does lie with the plastic recoil starter (as you guessed) this has 4 small holes which click onto 4 small bumps on the back plate.....it appears that this is the proper method of attachment enabling easy change of recoil starter....BUT it just isn't secure enough!

Maybe the 4 small bumps have been worn down???But they are only in contact with the plastic casing of the recoil start and plastic don't wear meatal down!!

If you could e.mail me ur e,mail address I could send you the exploded
    view of the engine which makes things a lot clearer.

Cheers

Craig
  10. waynedrayton

waynedrayton New Member

Hi Jon,
    Me again.......still sorting the pull start problem, but I also need to know what the factory Settings for my GS 21R would have been? Car is cutting out at full throttle?

Cheers Craig
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.