Need help with Metasequoia

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, first, how can I cut a hole in a model I'm making? In other words, I'm working on a model of the Arc Hammer from Dark Forces, and I have completed the hull and I need to cut out some of the aft end to make a space for the engines, but I can't find a tool that works.

Second question: what programs can I use to make textures? I tried Paint, but Meta doesn't like .bmp textures.

Third question: how do I make oval-shaped objects? The primitives only have rectangles, circles, etc, but no ovals. I could stretch all the edges into the shape of a rough oval, but that's not precise and it's very tedious. I want to make the large columns on the sides of the Arc Hammer, which are actually shaped like parentheses instead of true ovals, and the center column is a rounded triangle.

Fourth question: how do I add points to a line? Like if I wanted a line that has attachment points on it for stuff like antennas and engines.

Fifth question: how do I extrude a rectangle that is smaller than the face I'm extruding? In other programs I've used it was a simple matter of drawing a square or rectangle in space and entering a distance to extrude. But I'm not sure how to do this in Metasequoia.
  2. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Well, I can't help you , Tyler but just thought I'd say I would LOVE to get my hands on the ol' Arc. One of the best computer games ever! I still have the cd image on my hard drive. Too bad I can't get the thing to work. Tried every solution I could find on the internet.

If you need any test builders, count me in :twisted:

As far as cutting holes, perhaps a high speed dremel/rotary tool with a very small cutting bit? ROTARY TOOL BITS
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

If it were a plastic model, I *would* use my Dremel. But it won't work in this case as I'm using Metasequoia, a 3D modeling program on the computer.

Btw, I think Odyssey Slipways is going to come out with a 1:10,000 scale model of the Arc Hammer one of these days.
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Sorry about that. I thought you had actually constructed a prototype or something and need physical holes cut...not virtual ones. In my defense I had just gotten off the midnite shift and was as tired as one can get. Not a lot makes much sense to me that late (errr...early). :mrgreen:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

No worries. 8) Ask anybody; I'm as loopy as a roller-coaster at midnight. But I found that I do my best writing after midnight, because I don't second-guess myself.
  6. 57townsman

57townsman Member

7. Millenniumfalsehood

Nice! Thanks for the link, Townsman! I'll give some of those techniques a try. :D If it works, look for an Arc Hammer in the future, Caustic Phlegm.

EDIT: The only problem the site doesn't address is that of creating a rounded oval perfectly.