need help with forest

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by tilbarr, Dec 9, 2004.

1. tilbarr

tilbarr New Member

On part of my layout I have a hilltop and mountainside that I would like to cover completly in trees as a small part of a forest. Any sugestions instead of making hundreds of trees? I'm working in N scale and planning to use various types of trees to make up the scene. Any help would be greatly apreciated. The trees are to be closly grouped togeather. (If that helps). Thanks again :) .
  2. seanm

seanm Member

Keep in mind, from a distance , you can only see the trunks of the trees on the edge of the forest. With this in mind, make some detailed trees up front and then string a net at just below tree height and fill with foam covered lichen or what ever looks like your forground trees.
  3. tilbarr

tilbarr New Member

Nice Idea thanks. I've made trees for most of the rest of the layout and been dreading this area. That will work out just great.
  4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Also look at Woodland Scenics Poly Fiber covered with Foam and Foliage Clumps. Mixing items will give better results than just using one method. Fred
  5. sunfish3409

sunfish3409 New Member

What I use is cotton balls dyed with rit dye. You find it next to shoe polish in the grocery store. Then you just weave it into your ring of trees.