Need help with decals!

Richard Gude

I am looking for 3/8" high white gothic letters with a black outline. I can't find any in the Walthers catalog. Are there other sources?

I have some of the Walthers clear decal paper.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make a good quality ink jet printer actually print white?

Any suggestions? rhg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
There is no way to make your standard ink jet printer print white. ALPS printers can print white, but I hear they are hard to find and/or expensive.

You might try dry transfers. CDS is one local (to Ottawa) manufacturer who has a wide variety of alphabets available. I don't know the address off-hand, but you can get to him via my local shop www.larkspurline-trains.com

Andrew

CalFlash

Dry transfers esp with any variety or choice of style, are getting harder to find these days as the computer age has replaced the old "cut and paste" technology in "paste ups" in the printing industry. At one time, I had access to a vinyl cutter and was able to make signs in CorelDraw and have them cut in vinyl to make a mask for a true painted on lettering look. Signs for this one:

stand.jpg

were printed directly on paper which was cut out and applied to a backing.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Jerry has pointed out one alternative - to print using the white paper as "white" and matching the background colour to whatever you need. Of course this is easiest if it is a stand-alone sign with no specific colour to match (like brickwork), but even that could be done with some care.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Microscale offers decal sheets of gothic letters in white, black, and various colors. I don't know if they offer white with a black outline, but would it work to use a 3/8" black letter with a smaller white letter applied over the top of it?

screen

I use Coreldraw in my screenprint business and it is a powerfull Vector art tool - can make about anything for signs and such - with it and a scanner you can replicate almost anything -

Just saw an ad on page 25 of the december Railroad Model Craftsman - looks like it will do almost anything for your layout and in your scale - It's by Evan Designs and you can buy any number of design disc's - might just be the tool you need - Is anyone familiar with this software?