Need help with certain details

edburchell

Apr 24, 2006
I am currently modelling an industry that requires incoming loads of paints and plastic pellets, I was wondering if anyone could either post a pic or point me in the direction of how the plastic pellets, and paint are unloaded from hoppers and tankcars into the silos that store them. I have pics of the silos themselves, and some of the pipes are there, just can't find anything about what is at trackside for unloading...Any help anyone??? I have a 2 silos for plastic and one for paint, and it is going to use the same spur track for unloading.
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=285876

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Working in the plastics industry before,I might be able to help. We got our pelletts delivered by truck, but the same system is used for railcar unloading also. They would be "Blown" into the silo(Which was actually a fully enclosed hopper)from an airpump mounted on the trailer(seperate blower outside the plant for railcar). Thats the pipe that runs along side the silo to the top of the silo.To get the the pelletts from the silo to inside the plant, we had a vaccume system, that would deposit the pelletts into a smaller silo inside the plant. Since we only dealt with HDPE(High Density Poly-Ethalyne) we didn't need seperate silo for the different types of plastic.
Hope this helps.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I'll see what I can do for ya...

I live just a few miles away from a very large plastic bottling company (they make stuff for Pepsi). I've seen their setup from the road many times, and I think it's just what you're looking for.

Tomorrow I'll head out there and see if I can get permission to take some pics for you.

edburchell

Apr 24, 2006
See this is what I love about this hobby, the people who go out of their way to help out a complete stranger, sometimes on the other side of the world for no particular reason except that we share a common interest. I really appreciate the fact that you would go down to the plant itself and see if you can take pics for me to get my scratchbuild right. Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing the pics.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
edburchell said:
See this is what I love about this hobby, the people who go out of their way to help out a complete stranger, sometimes on the other side of the world for no particular reason except that we share a common interest. I really appreciate the fact that you would go down to the plant itself and see if you can take pics for me to get my scratchbuild right. Thank you so much. I look forward to seeing the pics.
Hey, in model railroading there are no "complete strangers", just some friends we haven't met yet.:wave: :wave: I agree with you, this is one amazing group here, I don't care what you ask, there's always someone that has the answer or is willing to help somehow. :thumb: :thumb:

edburchell

Apr 24, 2006
Thank you so much Iron Horse....that is exactly what I am looking for. That will help alot.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Well, hopefully the weather will cooperate a little better tomorrow. It's been raining here all day, with no signs of letting up before dark.

I haven't forgotten about you! Maybe I can get out there Thursday after work and get some pics for you.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

I recall seeing an article in MR describing just what you want. I'm not sure when it was, but you can probably google it, or do a search in trains.com. Good luck!!

Gus (LC&P).

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Update...

I went out to the plant this afternoon and the security guard wouldn't let me in, even after I explained what I wanted to do. So, I came home and called the place. They put me through to the plant manager's voice mail, and I asked for permission to take the pictures.

Hopefully he will call me back, and I can get out there and get you some.

:thumb:

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
After many messages left for the plant manager, my phone calls haven't been returned. I tried sneaking out there again yesterday, but the security guard stopped me dead in my tracks. Doesn't look like I'll be able to help you out after all.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Also think that a member on here (his avatar is a bear in enjineers outfit - but name escapes me!) did an article awhile back about an actual shortline that has a pellet plant with photos -maybe someone can recall who I'm refering to

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
There was a super...

...article in Model Railroader a few years back with an N layout that featured expanding- fold out- pages with a plastics type factory I believe you're after. I have the mag at my house in PA in the reading room. There were drawings and a photo how to- on several buildings. The article featured the RR as well as the industries. Perhaps a look at the MR site for back issues will help?

I'll drop back the next time after I've visited the PA reading room if you haven't got an answer.sign1

Mark

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: In the Walthers Cornerstone "Magic Pan Bakery" kit, there is an unloading system for covered hoppers. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it has 2 pipes that run along a rack and have 4 or 5 unloading spouts along both pipes. From there, the pipes go right into the building but you could kitbash them and make them run up the silos.