Need help with a Proto 2000 loco quick!

NIevo

Well I am watching a BN GP20 on eBay that is labeled as a Athearn SD9 but I PM'd the guy and he said it is actually the loco in the photo which is a Proto 2000 GP20 from what it appears. The model has horn hook couplers though which makes me think its a older model.

Question is, how much difference is their in the older and newer models? I really want some high hood BN models for my layout as they were some of the main power on the era and protype Im modeling. Most were actually GP9's but I have yet to find a good model of a BN GP9
frown.gif
Im thinking about jumping on this though because bidding is only at $10 with less then a day left. I think alot of people see the title and think its a old Athearn SD9. Should I jump on it and how much is it worth? Thanks guys.

d96d_1.JPG

i purchased one i traded away to a person here and I paid under 20 bucks for it used, it looked alot like that one , that model has better paint
good luck in buying it

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Proto 2000 came with Accumates, not horn hooks. But they could of been added later.
But hey...for $10.00.!!!!!...A pair of KD's will fit just fine.

Did some research for you also.
Looks like thats a GP18, according to the numbering of the protoype and the pic of the model you posted,
Here's the link:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bn/bn1993adb.jpg

No, look at the fans on his model. They're what I call "flat-top," whereas in the pic you posted they are "dome-top."

Heh. Then again, older Athearns aren't exactly known for accuracy; the "DD40" numbered as a DD35A is an example of that. lol

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Not to throw a big monkey wrench into the whole thing...but I think that is GP 9 Ph III model. I have a pK2 model and it looks identical (except for the paint and the winter hatch) to the one pictured above.

DSC01765.JPG

steamhead

A further note...That may well be a Proto model, but I don't think it's a 2K. The 2K series are much more refined in details that this model doesn't have. Just look at the handrails....I have an SD7 2K and the handrails are about half as thick as those. I understand the initial Protos weren't much in the running department either....