Need help planning layout

Dakota train

I am in need of some help designing a layout in HO. I have tried using Atlas's program with no luck. So I'm asking for help from the great people of THE GAUGE. I'm not really going to model a specific year, but I would say more Steam era and transition period. Want to keep the wiring simple so no reverse loops, the elevator row will have three sidings, mine area will have at least two sidings. The rest is up for design.

Attachments

• proposed layout.JPG
    proposed layout.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 234
First question: can you walk around all sides of it? If not, that top right corner is going to be a real doozey to do ANYTHING on.

Lynn

Dakota train

bad corner

No I cant walk around the sides of it. My plan was to first build the 4X8 area and then when time and money allows add on with the roundhouse section and the elevator row section. I know it would be a long reach with the roundhouse section on to reach any derailments. But I do have a long reach and with the help of mechanical arm, should be no problems to get the cars. All scenery will be done when building the 4x8, before any additions are put on. Thanks for the reply:wave:

Terrell

PS. Gage still likes the little steamer.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If the only "obstructions" in the room are the electrical panel, and the door, you would be far better off building some sort of round the walls shelf with a duckunder or swing/lift section at the door and electrical panel (or even a very narrow shelf unde the panel, depending on how high it is).

My favourite layout fo about this size is Mike Hamer's Boston & Maine: http://www.ovar.ca/Mike Hamer/Hamer.htm

Without the surround staging, it is pretty much the size of your room.

Andrew

Dakota train

i didnt notice before, but some of the drawing is cut off. At the bottom of the drawing just right of the 2.5x7.5 bench is a doorway that goes to the utility room with a deep freezer in their. Don't want to try and slide a deep freeze under a layout. I do have to keep a opening for the electrical box due to the bottom of the box is only 31 inches from the floor. Its a big 200 Amp 40 space box. The room is 10X10 give or take a few inches. Thanks for the reply.

Are you planning an oval for continuous running on the 4 X 8, with the mining on the inside? That will be a deciding factor in track planning.

Lynn
Tell Gage "Hi"

Dakota train

Its very surprising that nobody has offered to help plan this layout. Just looking for some ideas. Every little bit helps.

Russ Bellinis

Dakota train said:
Its very surprising that nobody has offered to help plan this layout. Just looking for some ideas. Every little bit helps.

I think people are still trying to get their mind around your space. You will need access to the elcectrical panel, but the layout needs to be low enough for a child to use it. Do you plan to get to the electrical panel by crawling on your hands and knees? If you can't get to the space behind the layout, you can't reach the back of the 4 x 8 from the front unless you have 48 inch arms. If you are going to use 4 x 8 benchwork, it can only be against a wall if it is on castors, or has access hatches in the center. When you add a low enough height to work for a child, it is very difficult to design anything. Trains that would interest children can be very small radius. Make a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 in the middle of the room for your children, and then build a shelf type around the walls for you. Once your layout is sufficiently completed to allow continuous running, the children can operate on your layout and take theirs down.

BigJim

I think we need more information but access to the panel is a must (even if not required by law) The drawing below may not meet your local code (3' access in front open in most areas) but will be better than crawling. I think it is much better to have access on noth sides of 5' than one side of 4'.
tensix10.gif

tensix10.pdf

Dakota train

Russ, i do plan on crawling under to access the elect. panel. And to be child friendly, I will just build a box for them to stand on as that's what my rr club has for the children. I know that 4x8 benchwork is not ideal especially if you cant move it. But the 4x8 will be the main for probably a couple of years before any additions are put on, so everything will be done. then when I do put the additions on and have a derailment and can't reach, out will come the the mechanical reach arm to assist. I dont want to sound stubborn about having a 4x8 base, but I would like continious running loop/s on the 4x8, so I would think more space the better. Unless someone can show me something narrower with cont. loops. Thanks:wave:

I've got a plan figured out in my head but haven't had a chance to draw it out. My drawing is about like my writing, do it in a hurry and even I can't decipher it:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lynn

Dakota train

Finally get to reply back, your layout design is similar to what I was thinking. I thought about a long passing siding that would start from the upper right corner over to the upper left corner, so i can park a long train on it and still run. One question I have is the branch line coming off of the main in the lower left of the 4x8. Just wondering what kind of radius I would need to make the corner, I would like the sidings to be as close to the inside edge as possible. I tried using RTS 7 program with no luck, they dont have all the sections of track needed to build a layout. So if anyone out there uses a better program and would like to draw out Yellowlynn's plan that would be wonderfull. It will probably save me alot of headaches down the road.

Thanks YellowLynn for your help

Terrell

little change

Just tried coming off in a different direction. Is this more of what you had in mind?

Lynn

Attachments

• img000.bmp
    26.3 KB · Views: 41