Need help placing Water & Sanding Towers

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi all:
Could use some advice with the attached layout. These are my “S” modules. They are 4’-0” x 2’-6” each. The bottom two lines tie into the two loops that run around the modular layout on everyone’s modules. The siding closest to these is intended for mostly freight operations. The upper siding is used for a barrel loading operation at right end, on the spur, and for a passenger station at the left end.

Where should I place my water tower and sanding tower? Position 1 looks good because I can work around activities that may be occurring on the rest of the tracks. Position 2 seems good because it’s in the middle of things and I can get into position if cars are blocking me from 3 of the 4 approaches.

Now, let’s see if I can actually get this picture posted, and it’s readable…

Thanks,
Ted

Attachments

• module1.jpg
    module1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 265

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ted:
in the town I grew up in, the water tower was placed at the end of the station platform, on the side going into the nearest large city. It was placed where the locos could stop with all the cars of the train on the platform. I don't remember if there was a separate spout for the other track. I assume the idea was that trains on the other track would still be full from the last division point. Can you get a separate spout in S?
I don't remember a sand tower except at a large loco depot.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
David:
What do you mean by "a separate spout in S?" Also, may put a coaling tower in here as well. Should it go in sequence with the other two?
Thanks,
Ted

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Ted: I'm trying to remember the proper name for it, but the railways often had one water tower but multiple places for watering, and the extras were a vertical pipe with the spout mounted at the top. I think I have an HO kit for one somewhere, so I was wondering if they had one in S.
I think coaling towers tended to be in loco yards. A load of coal would usually get the train to a point where a new loco would take over. They usually kept coal loading far away from passenger trains. A tenderful of coal would boil many tendersful of water.
Unless you're thinking of a hopper car loader to go with the barrel plant.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by 60103
I'm trying to remember the proper name for it, ... the extras were a vertical pipe with the spout mounted at the top.

Are they "stand pipes"? Curiously, that doesn't look right now that I have written it down.

Andrew

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 60103
I'm trying to remember the proper name for it, ... the extras were a vertical pipe with the spout mounted at the top.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know what they're called, but I think we're talking about the pipes that are hinged to the bottom of the tank and swing down to deliver the water to the locomotive.
If the water tower/tank was located between two tracks, and there were two whatever-they-ares on opposite sides of the tank, then either track could be serviced.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
David:
I know what you're talking about. Don't know if there's a kit in "S" but i could scratch one up easy enough. Did these "standpipes" replace the spout off the elevated tank or just supplement them?

Good point on the coaling tower. Will think about whether i have room to add one at the other end of the four modules as an additional industry. Was planning to build a mountain there originally but am starting to think the modules would be better served by setting up a series of "backdrop" industries and docks that i could clamp onto the back of the modules. That would allow me to get more activity without a lot of bulk to haul to the shows since the "buildings" would only be an inch or two deep. As it is, my stuff almost completely fills the back of my Taurus wagon!

Thanks,
Ted

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
Standpipes

Ted:
OK, we'll call them standpipes. They would probably be used to supplement a water tower with a spout, but could be used with a water tower that wasn't equipped with a spout, i.e. was off to the side someplace, while the standpipes were put at the end of the platforms. Would depend on the room available. (Britain often built the tank on top of one end of the loco shed and used standpipes on the platform ends.) (Brits call 'em water cranes!)
You could also have a tank with two spouts.