Need help on making HO roof shingles

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by XavierJ123, Mar 25, 2007.

1. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

I am building my first scratchbuild building out of HO wood, a turn of the century General Store. The roof of the store is like a regular house, not a flat one. I would like some help/ideas on how to make or simulate the roof shingles. I cut 600 teeny tiny shingles in each roof top already with my Dremel tool, but I have seen pictures in Model Railroad books with better looking shingles and I don't know how the builder did it.
  2. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Well, I wonder if you could take some cardstock, or even construction paper, and cut strips of it with pinking shears, the glue courses of the strips of notched paper onto the roof?
  3. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

Thanks for being specific. I had to look up the definition of "pinking shears" and I am glad I did. I wonder if that's how John Allen did it? I'll have to give it a try.

Pinking shears
    are scissors whose blades are sawtooth instead of straight. Pinking shears will leave a zigzag pattern instead of a straight edge. These scissors can be used for decorative cuts and there are a number of patterns (arches, sawtooth of different aspect ratios, or asymmetric teeth).
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The pinking shears should work well for making a roof with those old diamond-shaped interlocking shingles. If you want something even older, try Campbell's "cedar" shingles. I used them on the older coal elevator in the background, below.

5. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

Thanks Wayne;
    I had already stained and glued the windows and doors in my General Store yesterday. Today I assembled and glued four sides on the bottom with Elmer's yellow carpenter's glue and while I was doing this I wondered if another glue was a better choice. I have worked with the yellow glue over the years and know it will dry yellow and be messy if you don't wipe off the excess with a water soaked rag---which I did. To tell the truth, it's starting to look pretty good. I haven't installed the roof yet as I want to build it with HO roof rafters and ceiling joists. A HO loading platform is already built, stained and ready to attach after its' roof is built. What fun!
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Sounds like you're having fun...
    How 'bout some pics so we's all can join in too..!! :D
  7. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

cYou could make a tar paper roof. Cut masking tape in to 3 foot scale strips. Stick it to a piece of glass and use a straight edge. Paint it grimy black. Peal it off the glass and stick it on the roof overlapping bit by bit. Weather with powders.

Worked great for me.

Check this out.
    Look at photo 51

8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you want more modern shingles, use wet-and-dry sandpaper. I drew lines on my roof 6" (scale) apart. Then I cut strips of wet-and-dry a scale foot wide and notched them halfway every 12". Then I glued them onto the roof, overlapping each row (start from the bottom) and offsetting each row half a shingle.
    It only took me 2 nights to do a small waiting shelter this way (thread somewhere last fall by Interurban).
  9. John Hanske

John Hanske New Member

How about using strips of magazine stock cut to the length of the roof section and the width of the shingles plus an 1/8 inch. Then make individual cuts the depth of the shingle you want to make. Paint each strip with a wash of brown, grey or whatever and a light wash of a lighter color. Dont forget to paint the bottom.
  10. John Hanske

John Hanske New Member

Found this info from "conrail":
    I used some card stock paper to make roof shingles. I whipped up a patteren with Photoshop, printed it off on the card stock paper, roughed the paper up just a tad with 120 grit (on the opposite side of the printed patteren), then trimmed the shingles out. Printing the patteren first made the trimming a snap. Then I soaked them in a wash of alcohol and ink and they look great. Add weathering to taste.

An idea on the barb wire the was mentioned earlier in the thread could be done easily by just tying a few knots in the line and scuffing them up to create a barbed look. I havent tried it but its the best I could think of.
  11. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

American Model Builders has several varieties of laser-cut shingles that are peel-and-stick. Expensive, but very nice-looking.

For a tarpaper/rolled roofing look, I agree with Andrew (and others) that wet/dry sandpaper works well... 400-600 grit.