Need help on layout

Sasha

Oct 28, 2005
Hello gauge!

I am thinking about starting a layout in my room, well loft etc its got climate control and power with lots of insulation. Well the space granted to me is about 10 foot by about 6 foot. I have got about 400$ to spend on track and 300$ to spend on rolling stock, i do not want to have scenery or a proper layout yet because i always am changing my mind, but id like some suggestions.

I am looking for a 2 or 3 mainlines, possibly with terminus's (oh by the way the area is like a upside down C, like this )

---------
| |

(not to scale)

also with a branch line and a yard, i am not really bothered about a yard at all but id just like the 2 or 3 mainlines and a branch, its stretching 400$ of track seeing as i have nothing at all but please any track plans will do! also i am not bothered about any period in time!

and btw i have looked at the atlas and thortrains layouts but they dont seem to be the right ones although they are very good! i am in england as well

Sasha

Oct 28, 2005
very much appreciated, but my card is buggered atm so i cannot pay for anything over the net atm =( so its cold hard cash till my new card comes and my library (least i think thats lhs) has got no books on trains, it hasnt even got the bible ffs. So as you see its hard for me!

Sasha

Oct 28, 2005
ah i see, the local train shop is in the city, im hoping to do all ordering mail order because the one in the city is crap,

Sasha

Oct 28, 2005
thats great thanks man!, can someone post some ideas though for a track plan ?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sasha,

You need to provide us with a bit more info:

- how much space do you have and what shape is it? (You can attach pictures or drawings to your posts - check here to learn how.
- related to above - what does your proposed benchwork look like? how much of the space does it take? Is it a shelf type layout, or a table?
- what type of trains do you like to run?
- what time frame or era do you want?
- what location?
- what industries are you interested in?
- you mention two or three mainlines - do you like running trains continuously (needing a simple loop) or do you want them to do some switching, etc?
- what scale?

This information will help us help you with your plan.

One housekeeping item - if "ffs" stands for what I think it does, please refrain from using it in the future...

Andrew
(Moderator)

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
He gave the space: 6'x10' with one 10' side open. Scale - that's a biggie...

2 or 3 mainlines - does that mean double or triple track, or separated lines?

Is this to be British prototype? That may make a difference to the track plan.