From/To: 786200-786399
DESIG: RBL
CPY: 70
IL: 51'5"
Doors: 10' PL
CUFT 4543
LTWT: 74500
BLT: 68

I'm guessing that it's a 51'5" single plug door, but what does the RBL stand for? Also, does any know off-hand if there is a model manufacturer that makes undecs of this? I'd like to get some to model the one in the pic, since most MoPac boxcars are the standard boring brown.

P.S. This one looks like it would be close (i.e., the rib sides) , except the doors are different (although the description says that they also come with single plug doors, which sounds like just what I need):

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/480-1829

Thanks!

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Ed,

That car is insulated. It is very similar to a reefer, minus the refrigerator unit. It is used for transporting goods that need some stability in temperature maintained. Beer, canned goods and bagged flour are often in the ones I've seen. You don't say what scale you are looking for, but IIRC Walthers may have an HO version or something similar.

Greg Elems

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Ed,

According to my copy of the 1984, Official Railway Equipment Register, that car is a Steel, Cushioned Underframe Refrigerator.
AAR car type code "RBL" means that it is similar in construction to an "RB" type car but equipped in addition with an adjustable loading or stowing device.
Type "RB" means a Bunkerless refrigerator car, with or without ventilating devices and with or without a device for attaching portable heaters.
Hope this helps:)
Cheers!

Terry

C

Catt

Eddie,you might also checkwith Roundhouse as they do a lot of different styles of boxcars.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Hello Eddie. Two other good sources for HO scale freight cars are Accurail and Branchline Trains.

I just checked Accurail's site. They have the external post box type, but I did not see a plug door version for a RBL.

Branchline's link from the NMRA Worldwide Diectory of Model RR Sites is dead at the moment, butb you should be able to find their web address in a magazine ad.

Please let us know if you find what you are looking for! Best of luck.
--Stu--

Mar 8, 2003
eddielandreth.boche.net
I think I found a suitable stand-in for this in a MDC Roundhouse kit:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/480-1238

It comes in an undec kit as well. The only real noticeable difference I can see is that the Roundhouse kit has a full ladder on the right end and grabs on the left, whereas the prototype MP car has half ladders on both ends. Walthers makes a kit as well, but it's retired ( :cry: ) so guess I will go with the undec Roundhouse kit and modify it.

Thanks guys for all the help,