Need help identifying this car type...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Eddie Landreth, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Can anyone tell me what this boxcar would be called:


    I found it on the MOPAC website and the details are thus:

    From/To: 786200-786399
    CPY: 70
    IL: 51'5"
    Doors: 10' PL
    CUFT 4543
    LTWT: 74500
    BLT: 68

    I'm guessing that it's a 51'5" single plug door, but what does the RBL stand for? Also, does any know off-hand if there is a model manufacturer that makes undecs of this? I'd like to get some to model the one in the pic, since most MoPac boxcars are the standard boring brown.

    P.S. This one looks like it would be close (i.e., the rib sides) , except the doors are different (although the description says that they also come with single plug doors, which sounds like just what I need):

  2. Greg Elems

    Greg Elems Member


    That car is insulated. It is very similar to a reefer, minus the refrigerator unit. It is used for transporting goods that need some stability in temperature maintained. Beer, canned goods and bagged flour are often in the ones I've seen. You don't say what scale you are looking for, but IIRC Walthers may have an HO version or something similar.

    Greg Elems
  3. K.V.Div

    K.V.Div Member


    According to my copy of the 1984, Official Railway Equipment Register, that car is a Steel, Cushioned Underframe Refrigerator.
    AAR car type code "RBL" means that it is similar in construction to an "RB" type car but equipped in addition with an adjustable loading or stowing device.
    Type "RB" means a Bunkerless refrigerator car, with or without ventilating devices and with or without a device for attaching portable heaters.
    Hope this helps:)

  4. Catt

    Catt Guest

    Eddie,you might also checkwith Roundhouse as they do a lot of different styles of boxcars.
  5. Thanks for the excellent help, guys. I'm now armed with info so hopefully can find some similar cars to use as a starting point.

  6. grlakeslogger

    grlakeslogger Member

    Hello Eddie. Two other good sources for HO scale freight cars are Accurail and Branchline Trains.

    I just checked Accurail's site. They have the external post box type, but I did not see a plug door version for a RBL.

    Branchline's link from the NMRA Worldwide Diectory of Model RR Sites is dead at the moment, butb you should be able to find their web address in a magazine ad.

    Please let us know if you find what you are looking for! Best of luck.
  7. Pete

    Pete Member

  8. I think I found a suitable stand-in for this in a MDC Roundhouse kit:

    It comes in an undec kit as well. The only real noticeable difference I can see is that the Roundhouse kit has a full ladder on the right end and grabs on the left, whereas the prototype MP car has half ladders on both ends. Walthers makes a kit as well, but it's retired ( :cry: ) so guess I will go with the undec Roundhouse kit and modify it.

    Thanks guys for all the help,

Share This Page