Need help identifying manufacturer of stack cars

CRed

Hi,

I just won these stack cars off of e-bay and was wondering if anyone had any info on them,they look like quality cars to me not sure though.I only paid $17 for the lot so I think I got my moneys worth either way.Thanks in advance for any help you give me.Sorry for the picture quality,I just took them off of e-bay so they're not mine.

Chris

100_0427.jpg

100_0425.jpg

100_0424.jpg

Russ Bellinis

I don't think there is any such thing as a low value stack car set. Virtually all of the stack cars offered today are built by Athearn or A-line, and maybe Bowser. All three companies are building outstanding quality products. I don't model stack trains, but if you are interrested in double stacks, you probably won't find a poor quality one if it is in original condition.

CRed

Thanks guys!Yeah I figure they had to be decent quality and besides just the containers are $3-$4 a piece online so how could I go wrong?

Could anyone tell me from looking at the photo if I will be able to run all six cars together?And will they have to be run as their own consist or can I add other different cars with them?

I'm new to this so that's why I am asking and my layout is going to be more of a "fantasy" layout then a "prototypical" one so I'm not too worried about how that looks.

Chris

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Yep, those are Athearns.

WOW, all 6 + containers for $17? I am shocked. I have seen sets like this sell upwards of $80

I believe that you can run all six together and I think that you can add more to the unit too. You might have to rearange the trucks on the cars though by mounting them on the other side?

It should work though.

**EDIT**

You will need more intermediate units and not more end units to make it longer.

Seaboard

Those look like InterMountain Stack cars. You are lucky to get them at $17.00. Those things usually range from $65.00 All the way to $90.00. Great Deal:D

CRed

TruckLover said:
Yep, those are Athearns.

WOW, all 6 + containers for $17? I am shocked. I have seen sets like this sell upwards of $80

I believe that you can run all six together and I think that you can add more to the unit too. You might have to rearange the trucks on the cars though by mounting them on the other side?

It should work though.

**EDIT**

You will need more intermediate units and not more end units to make it longer.
Thanks,I knew it was a decent deal just not sure how decent.Apparently I got more then just a decent deal so that's cool.

I have had decent luck with e-bay lately.Yesterday I picked up 4 Walthers RTR Boxcars for $21 and 4 Model Power all metal cars(A Alaskan Hopper,Mobilgas Tanker,SF Box Car and a Armour Reefer) for $18.

Thanks again for all your help guys,I will know for sure what I have when I get them,but I was curious as to what they were today.I'll post better pics of them when I get them.

Chris

Russ Bellinis

I think those stack cars are like the prototype. You can add a single husky stack car to either end, or you could add another 5 set to either end, but you cannot change the middle of the set. You could remove one or more of the middle cars to make a shorter set if you want to, the way the prototype does when apart of a set is wrecked or needs repair.

CRed

Thanks Russ!

So basically I got a 5 car set with an extra car that can be added to the end,eh?I am guessing these were bought seperatly instead of as a set since there's 3 different roads that make up the set.Either way I'm pretty happy with the deal I got so whether it's A-Line,Athearn or whatever I have nothing to complain about.

Chris

Russ Bellinis

I didn't notice the extra car when I looked at the first pic. I suspect he had the rest of that set get broken or something. If you are really lucky, he is sending you the other 5 car set, but didn't have rest of it in the pic! It might work to put that 6th car in the middle of the set, if the connection to the common truck is the same as the others.

CRed

It just comes with the 6 cars as listed in the auction,but that's O.K. with me.It looks to me that the 5 SP and ACP cars will fit together so even if the TT one doesn't I still have NOTHING to complain about after spending only $16.52 for them.Thanks again!

Chris

CRed

After going to Athearns site and comparing pictures they look like they are Athearns,although they didn't have APC cars on their site.

It seems to me that the fourth car down is the lead car and the bottom one is the end car with the other three going in between them,I don't know about the TT car,it looks like the odd car out to me,but I'll wait and see when I get them if I can use it.

It also looks like the steps on the end car may need to be repaired and I don't see a coupler on it either,but that just may be the angle the picture was taken.Minor problems that should be remedied easily.

Chris