Need help identifying a location

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I purchased this photo at a train show last weekend and am curious about the location. It appears to be somewhere in the southwest. Can anyone narrow it down a little closer?

IMG_2089.jpg

Tom

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think it is Sherman Hill. If you look closely at the lead unit, what appears to be a third light just above the anticlimber is actually a U.P. herald. Also there is just enough contrast on the top of the front short hood to suggest the antiglare paint UP used on their hood units.

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
Thanks for all the info, everyone! I will try using Google images to see if I can narrow it down from there. I did take the back off and there is no information there. I even tried a magnifying glass on the engines and still couldn't make out the name. What I could tell was the last two digits of the lead engine appear to be 94.

Tom

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I spent quite a bit of time staring at aerial images of the rail line between Sherman hill and Dale junction last night. While there is 1 place that looks similar in track layout to the picture, the geology/terrain does not look like it matches. Who knows what has been regraded or weathered over the years though.

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I've been working on this also and after more careful examination with magni-visor and magnifying glass and flashlight, it appears as though the engine number is 904. The print is rather washed out so it's hard to be certain. Thanks for all the help so far!

Tom