need help glueing ratlines

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi Folks,

I am building a simple paper sailing ship Isabela from erkotyp.
http://mujobchod.atlas.cz/shop/imag...guage=19&ts=71rh267&id_item=24&id_cat=5&all=1

I have finished all the paper parts,
now I have to put the masts and sails and do the rigging.

I have put all the shrouds in place.
But now I have difficulty glueing ratlines to the shrouds, can you give me some tips?

I have tried to use Elmer white glue for glueing ratlines to the shrouds, but it does not bond strong enough.
Using UHU and CA, both of them make the thread looks glossy, it does not look good that way.
If I knot every ratline to the shrouds, it is too much work for me.

I try using this pattern made from paper (please look at the picture) and put all the ratlines in it, so that I can glue all the ratlines in line with one another, but I have difficulty putting the glue in place. I am afraid I put too much glue.

What should I do?
Please advice.

regards,

Tirta

Tirta

Apr 19, 2005
Indonesia
Hi Folks,

I am building a simple paper sailing ship Isabela from erkotyp.
http://mujobchod.atlas.cz/shop/imag...guage=19&ts=71rh267&id_item=24&id_cat=5&all=1

I have finished all the paper parts,
now I have to put the masts and sails and do the rigging.

I have put all the shrouds in place.
But now I have difficulty glueing ratlines to the shrouds, can you give me some tips?

I have tried to use Elmer white glue for glueing ratlines to the shrouds, but it does not bond strong enough.
Using UHU and CA, both of them make the thread looks glossy, it does not look good that way.
If I knot every ratline to the shrouds, it is too much work for me.

I try using this pattern made from paper (please look at the picture) and put all the ratlines in it, so that I can glue all the ratlines in line with one another, but I have difficulty putting the glue in place. I am afraid I put too much glue.

What should I do?
Please advice.

regards,

Tirta

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Tirta,

Ok, I have suggested this on many occassions before but this does work good.
Use monofiliment fishing line instead of thread or string, you can lay it out on aluminum foil and glue the other lines to it with cyno acrylate (super glue), to speed drying time you can move a lit cigarette close to the glue joint and it will instantly "freeze" or "set up". After you get all the lines glued and dry, then you can either spray paint the line black or use a black majik marker on it to color it. Then glue it to the model between two points and again, with a lit cigarette, heat those joints causing them to "set up". Then, if there is slack in the line, you can heat the line a little at a time which causes the line to shrink, thereby tightening the line between the two anchored ends.

hope this helps,

Greg

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Tirta,

Ok, I have suggested this on many occassions before but this does work good.
Use monofiliment fishing line instead of thread or string, you can lay it out on aluminum foil and glue the other lines to it with cyno acrylate (super glue), to speed drying time you can move a lit cigarette close to the glue joint and it will instantly "freeze" or "set up". After you get all the lines glued and dry, then you can either spray paint the line black or use a black majik marker on it to color it. Then glue it to the model between two points and again, with a lit cigarette, heat those joints causing them to "set up". Then, if there is slack in the line, you can heat the line a little at a time which causes the line to shrink, thereby tightening the line between the two anchored ends.

hope this helps,

Greg