Need help for very small n scale layout

skipgear

May 15, 2005
Most everything except the largest engines and long cars can run on 9 3/4. Long cars will have objectionable overhang which can interfere with scenery and tunnel portals. Even the latest articulated steam are supposed to run on 9 3/4 radius, although they don't really look that good doing it. Most diesels will be fine with 9 3/4. Long wheelbase steam and long wheelbase diesels you will want to stay away from but if you are doing something small, a little road switcher is really all you need to run anyhow. It's not like you will be pulling 25 car trains.

Just figure on a small layout, no long passenger, auto racks, or intermodal flats etc. and you will be OK.

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
9 3/4" is still a pretty standard track radius. I know its readily available in atlas in just about any hoobie store. What brand of track are you using. If it comes down to it you should be able to order it on line or I'm sure even one of us could help out and pic it up and ship it to you if you can't find it locally .

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually Ed, right now 11" is the standard for N Scale sectional track.
9.75" is the tight radius and 19" is the large radius.
Since when? I thought 9.75" was still "standard". Well, unless you're talking about Atlas Code 55... Anyway, radii other than those three are now available.

Andrew -
If you wanted to try even smaller, you would have to go to something narrow gauge, like Nn30 (30 Nscale inch track gauge), or Nn3 (36 Nscale inches). One of those (I can't remember which) basically uses Zscale track for narrow gauge Nscale locos.
Z track works out to meter-gauge for N. Since that's a European-prototype gauge, American modellers use Z for Nn3.

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
I cant glue or permanently mount anything to the table i am building this on. Its an old toybox that i kept my toys in when i was little but i just have some stuff stored in it now but the layout has to be movable in case i need to get something out of there. What should i use to build the layout on? I had thought about that foam insulation that comes in sheets (not the styrofoam but that stuff thats blue or pink i think). How would that work?

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
ho_scale_rail said:
I cant glue or permanently mount anything to the table i am building this on. Its an old toybox that i kept my toys in when i was little but i just have some stuff stored in it now but the layout has to be movable in case i need to get something out of there. What should i use to build the layout on? I had thought about that foam insulation that comes in sheets (not the styrofoam but that stuff thats blue or pink i think). How would that work?
You might want to put that on a piece of 1/2" plywood for stability if you should have to move it

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
ok i had thought of doing that and that sounds like a good idea. should i mount a piece of that foam on top of the plywood to lay my track and build my scenery on?

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
ho_scale_rail said:
ok i had thought of doing that and that sounds like a good idea. should i mount a piece of that foam on top of the plywood to lay my track and build my scenery on?
Yes , I think that would work well that way. That way you have a good solid base. You could even frame the bottom of the plywood with some 1" x ??? to give you some space underneath for wiring .

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
HO scale rail...

Take a look in the modular forum for links to info on building modules with 3/4" ply and 2" styrofoam. The link to the Modular forum is in my signature; the first thread contains all sorts of resources.

Your other alternative is to use "roadbed" track - Kato makes a great Nscale line. With this option, you would not have any scenery, but you could set up, take down, and/or rearrange as you wish.

Andrew

LR&BRR

Dec 29, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
home.ec.rr.com
hmm so far my smallest n scale layout is a circle around a small christmas tree for a desk top it is a 6" radius and runs a 0-4-0 docksider loco with the smallest box car i have.