Need help for very small n scale layout

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
What is the absolute smallest n scale layout that i could build. If it is possible i would like to do something more that just a single loop. I am wanting to build a layout really bad but i dont have the room to put it. thanks

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The absolute smallest would be 20" X 20". This would give you just a touch of board outside an 18" diameter circle. The smallest pre-curved track is 9-3/4" radius, but you could form flex track to a 9" radius. anything smaller would just about eliminate any loco except a 4 wheel diesel, or 0-4-0 swticher.
You could go 20" X whatever space you have, or larger.
Pete

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You can go smaller, if you do away with the need to have continuous running (or any running at all...!).

You could build a diorama or scene that could be incorporated into some future layout - a station, scene, crossing, small industry, etc, etc, etc.

While I am building modules for my (future) layout, I am also building structures and rolling stock that will (eventually) have a home on some module or other...

Andrew

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Actually, using tiny switchers and cars and flex track, you can get to about 6-7 inch radius. 15 inch x whatever (larger than 15 in), but again choice of rolling stock is very limited. If you can get 20 inches as sumpter pointed out, you can use most (but not the largest or long passenger cars) N locomotives and cars.

Be forewarned: laying consistent curves at very small radii with flex track is not as easy as the larger curves. Using sectional track is often easier.

yours in tracking

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Considering some people build N scale layouts in coffee tables.....20"x 42" would make a nice one.
I'm sure someone here with track planning program can come up with a real nice one.

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
ok, i checked on train board and they had given me alot of useful information. I am definitaly going to build the little layout now. Does anyone know of any websites with some small trackplans on it?

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
ok thanks, i'll check those out. I am probaby going to draw up my own plan but i wanted to look at some to get some ideas.

ho_scale_rail

Jul 31, 2005
i have one other question. Why would i be limited to 9-3/4'' radius track, wouldn't 10" radius track work? I may be misunderstanding something but i thought that a full circle of 10'' radius track would have an outside diameter of 20". If i am wrong could someone explain it to me. thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Radius is measured to track centre, so you have to allow a bit more space for the outside rail and other half of the ties...! ;)

Also, 9 3/4" radius is readily available in sectional track. This can be easier to work with when trying to get "smaller" radii, rather than trying to lay flex track in a consistent, smooth curve.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If you are limited to 20" wide, then yes 9 3/4" radius (19 1/2" diameter) is the biggest you can fit and not have the track hang over the edge.

9 3/4" radius in Nscale seems to be fairly standard as a minimum, much like 18" radius in HO scale.

If you wanted to try even smaller, you would have to go to something narrow gauge, like Nn30 (30 Nscale inch track gauge), or Nn3 (36 Nscale inches). One of those (I can't remember which) basically uses Zscale track for narrow gauge Nscale locos. You might be able to get down to a ~6" radius (12" diameter, requiring a ~14" board).

Andrew

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I've been out of N scale for awhile now, but when I was in, 9 3/4" radius was the "Standard" for N scale curved sectional track. Same as 18" was the standard for HO. Now they have 22" and 24" curved sectional track for HO, so...I'm assuming they opened up the radius for N scale sectional track also.
But...You know what they say about assuming......