Need Help for my layout~

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Aaron5384, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Aaron5384

Aaron5384 New Member

Alright, I'm new at this and I have a problem with my O-gauge layout that I can't figure out. I have a basic oval layout, with 2 switches that connect a seperate siding on that same track to park a train. I have an engine on the other siding as well. I want to be able to run both of them but at seperate times, and from the same transformer. I have a 3-way switch which I used a LONg time ago on this layout, however I CAN'T remember how to wire it up to make it work.
    Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, help on how to wire it up correctly, or how to wire the layout so that it works.

Thank you! Merry Christmas!
  2. Stu-Bug

Stu-Bug New Member

Do you have two (2) sidings ?? Is the switch three position ? How many terminals on the bottom ? I assume it is a toggle.
  3. Aaron5384

Aaron5384 New Member

Yes I have 2 sidings, and the switch has 3 positions, it's a toggle. I insulated all 3 rails of track on both sidings at the switches, and each siding has its own lock-on. Thanks~
  4. Stu-Bug

Stu-Bug New Member

Switch wire

As you are using three rail you don't need to isolate the outer rails. Make sure they are wired to the common terminal (Probable marked U on the transformer )
    Run a wire from the hot side (Probable marked A ) to one of the center terminals on the switch. You will only have to use one side of switch ! Run a wire from one side of switch to one siding and a wire from the other side to the other siding. They should be connected to the center rail. When the toggle is in the center both sidings will be off. One way will run one of the sidings the other way for the other. Tip color code your wires and always use the same color for the same function. Don't splice on another short piece of different color because it is handy. It eventually will drive you crazy !!
    Good Luck